How can I get my lil girl to take naps and stay asleep at night?

My baby dosnt like to take naps, she takes a nap all for about 20min and just stays awake, i tried letting her cry, give her warm milk and music, and at night when its bed time, she does good falling asleep, but she will wake up 3 or 4 times and stay awake, then she wakes up about 7am and just takes her 20 min nap. Dosnt a 7month old baby need more sleep then this? I feel like i've tried everything

truebloodmommy

Asked by truebloodmommy at 10:51 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she?
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:53 AM on May. 12, 2010

• urgh, my baby was just like that which was soo annoying because my eldest didn't do it at all! he was a perfect sleeper and i thought all babies did that and you can imagine how disappointed i was when it didn't happen with my second baby. but i found that sleeping with her helped a whole lot. especially at night. so because of that we co sleep and getting a good night's rest at night helps her out during nap time because she can play harder and be more energetic when she's awake. i'm not sure if it will work with everyone but it worked for me so maybe you can give it a try? won't hurt. GL mommy
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:53 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My daughter is 5 months. She had a similar problem, and was just SO SO SO fussy all day long. It was so hard. her 4 month check up came and my doctor asked is she sleeping alright. I told her about it. She said I know this is hard. What you need to do is lay her in her crib, let her cry for a little bit. She will fall asleep. It may take a min. longer at first, but that will shorten.

So I started doing that. She wakes up around 6-7am eats plays... I lay her back down at 9am for a nap. ( at first she cried for almost 10 min. before going to sleep... ) The time got shorter and shorter. Now She'll cry for no longer than one minute when I lay her down. If she wakes up in one hour I'll let her cry for one min. she'll fall back asleep for another hour. Then I'll either go wake her or she'll wake up. Feed her play she's up for another 2 hours. Then back down again.

She is SO much happier! Seriously. I know many say don't let them
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:58 AM on May. 12, 2010

• let them cry... but if you have to one day let them cry it out for longer than you'd like, painful to listen to... and your baby is happier in the end. getting the sleep she needs to grow. It's worth it. My daughter is now finally on a great routine through the day and night. SHe's happier. I'm happier.

Good luck : ) msg me if you have any extra Q's about it. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:00 AM on May. 12, 2010

• IMO Not all babies need that much sleep, just as some adults need more sleep than others. If she's not really napping during the day but getting plenty of rest at night I wouldn't worry about it. babies don't fight sleep like toddlers and bigger kids do, so I'm sure her body is telling her that she is fine without it.
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 11:04 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Babies aren't supposed to have milk until after 12 months.

Never let a baby cry. It's normal for human babies to breastfeed several times at night and sleep next to mom. It's hardwired in their brain. In most of the world babies still do. It has only been decades that in the US we expect babies to sleep through the night alone. Some babies can be forced to do this. We don't know what long term damage this causes.

It's normal for babies to wake and to need to eat until they are 3 and sometimes older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:38 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Why are you trying so hard to make her sleep? Is she healthy? Happy? Seem well rested? Active? Then let her be. When she needs more sleep she will sleep. Work with her natural rhythm not against it. Babies sleep more efficiently that adults do.

Think of it this way, would you be able to sleep for 10 hours, if you weren't tired, just because I say you need 10 hours? Maybe you don't! Maybe you function better with 7 1/2.

To encourage (not force) sleep at night. Keep activity to a minimum, low lights. During the day go about normal activity and encourage her curiosity. Don't put her to bed too early and don't force afternoon naps. Work with her patterns. Sleep changes a lot in the first year. A baby may take no naps one week, and sleep long naps the next. Babies in growth spurts sleep more, babies learning new milestones or tricks sleep less.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:55 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Some days my 7 month old naps long, some days cat naps, and other days dosen't nap at all. Sometimes she gets a bit irritable because a nap would interfere with whatever she is discovering, but if she doesn't nap she tends to go to bed earlier. She wakes, eats, goes back to sleep (we cosleep). If she has long naps she goes to bed later. But if she is growth spurting she'll take long naps and go to bed early and a few days later I have to put away outgrown outfits!!!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:59 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Answered at 9:38 AM on May. 12, 2010 by: Gailll

Never let a baby cry? seriously?

It's normal to let your little one cry for a very short time. After doing that a couple of times the baby will most likely take their naps, get the rest their body needs and be happier.

WHY not state your SOURCES that PROVE that it's damaging to let your infant cry for no more than 10 minutes? Sources please.

Anonymous

• Have your baby be fed, clean and comfortable. If you have already fed your baby, changed her diaper and cuddled with her and there is nothing else to try, then she is likely just tired and needs rest.

Monitor your baby during the crying. You need to ensure that she is safe when left in the crib. Staying in the room with your child is not recommended because she may be able to sense that you are there and continue crying more than absolutely necessary.

Listen to the type of crying. If your baby is only crying louder and harder and after 10 minutes no progress has been made, consider re-checking your baby's needs before letting him cry longer. If there seems to be less urgency and less frequency between cries then your baby is on his way to getting some much needed rest.

Always consult your pediatrician before trying the cry it out sleep method.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:52 PM on May. 12, 2010