ok, My DH had a stroke and a heartattack in Feb of 09. Now I need to go back to work. I have been fortunate enough to stay home and raise my kids for 9 years. I have no real work references or "job experience" within this time frame what do I do?

momsmof5

Asked by momsmof5 at 10:53 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would suggest a temp agency. They do a "test" type of thing to see what you are good at and place you in various jobs, a lot of times those temporary jobs give you a full time offer after so many days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I agree. A temp agency would be helpful. Have you ever worked? If so, you could go back into whatever field you were in. Do you have a degree? That would certainly help.
    GL
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:58 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Have you helped at your kids school, have you been involved with their sports or other activities? Have you volunteered at your church or local food pantry? If you have, get letters of reference from these organizations about what you did and what your responsibilities were.  Many of these type of activities are useful for gaining skills and experience. Take a closer look at your non-paid activities before your write yourself off completely.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:59 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Unfortunately no degree. I was a secretary when I did work, before I met my husband. I am looking in that field again. But with the economy down and people out there with recent work history and bilingual, which I am not, I am finding it hard to find a job.
    momsmof5

Answer by momsmof5 at 11:01 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I LOVE it! I am a stay at home Mommy to a 2 ½ year old and 1 year old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:25 AM on May. 12, 2010

• A temp agency is a great place for anyone with clerical skills. I worked as a secretary and receptionist for Snelling Temporaries throughout college. What usually happens is you work temp jobs, but if you're good a company will snag you up and ask you to work full time for them. Companies like to hire clerical work through temp services because they can try out different people and cut them loose easily if they don't like them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:32 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I wrote a great article about How to Find Work Experience as a Stay at Home Mom

It will help you find areas to list on your Resume.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:45 PM on May. 12, 2010