Has your boss, or anyone in your office, asked you specific ?s about using your health insurance?

I know they aren't supposed to do this... but I was asked yesterday about using my health insurance, which the company pays for b/c I'm a FT employee. I have a couple medical problems and I had 2 surgeries last year, plus I'm now pregnant. I was asked how much my surgeries were total (about $55k together) and then I was told "that is part of the reason our insurance is going up so high this year". I literally laughed it off b/c of the person who said it (he is an older person who does our acctg) but I did talk to my boss about it today. The other thing he (acctg guy) asked me was "How many times do you go to the dr a yr and what are you going for"... like it's any of his business.

My boss reamed him out this a.m. and told him that was illegal, which I already knew.

Has this ever happened to you before? Were you ever terminated/harrassed for using your health insurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have had people ask me what it covers, not with the intent to be nosey. Like they were wanting to know for there own health insurance. For example a lady that was trying to have a baby asked me how much I ended up having to pay for my child to be born.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:09 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Same as twins above. Never had any one ask me anything about my insurance unless it was for their own issue and they needed to know what to expect. (like, "if I go to the dentist, will the insurance cover a root canal, or is it just for extractions?")

Glad to hear your boss gave the account guy the "what for"!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

• It's my boss' dad that asked all this stuff. He's in charge of our insurance. The insurance person told him it was going to go up 24% which is horrible and he started asking me questions! (there's only 4 in the office... boss, him, me, and a PT girl who doesn't get insurance) He knew I had 2 surgeries last year and was asking me all kinds of questions about how much they were, what I still go to the dr for, if I take any meds... all to be nosey! I told my boss this morning and he was SO mad. I mean, I have several problems... Epilepsy is one of them. I can't help that I have Epilepsy! Geez... sorry for using my INSURANCE! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 12, 2010