I don't know what to do.

My BIL and his wife came to live with us last year. Long story short, DSS took their son away and they signed over their rights and had him adopted. It was determined that he was ok, she was not. She has since talked about removing her IUD without his knowledge on more than one occassion. She's also been talking about calling DSS to find out what hoops they need to jump through to restart a family since they moved out here.
Well, I've noticed some things. She's gained weight mostly in the stomach/butt area. She's stopped drinking coffee. She's changed her diet for the better, but doesn't appear to be loosing weight. She's microwaving her lunch meat. And after more than a year of talking about it, she's finally called DSS.
I think she's pregnant, but each and every one of those things could be innocent. I don't want to accuse, but she's not staying in my house if she is. I don't know how to approach her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What or Who is DSS?I don't understand the abbreviation and it is confusing me,lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Department of Social Services. That's where all the cases start. Depending on where you're at the state getting involved in your family often gets listed under different things. CPS- child protective services, DCFS- department of children and family services (I think that's the one I hear them using when they talk about what happened).
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 11:30 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My suggestion? Ask her. You dont want to accuse, as you said, if she's not...but you need/want to know...so ask her. I'm not being snippy, I'm sorry, but you really do need to ask. If she's staying with you, you have a right to know. My question is why would they sign over rights to have their son adopted if she wants the child? I mean, all she would've had to do is correct whatever she did wrong to have her child taken away in the first place. If DSS deems she's able to be a fit mother again, they would have given him back to her! I mean, what she's doing is definitely wrong, if in fact she's doing it (taking out the IUD without knowledge of BIL)..I mean, DSS can't stop her from having a baby, however, they can take it away just as fast as they took away her son if she's not fit! I don't know the situation, but DSS usually knows what they're doing! GOOD LUCK!

mama_of5

Answer by mama_of5 at 11:45 AM on May. 12, 2010