Moms I need your help.. we co-sleep at night how do I get him to sleep in the crib during naps?

My son is 11 months old and he sleeps with me at night and during the day he will usually nap on the couch but now it's at the point I have to hold him on the couch while he sleeps or he will wake up screaming the second I try to put him down and thats starting to play on my nevres. I can't get anything done. So my question is how do I get him to sleep in the crib? Ive tried putting him in it and sitting in the rocker next to him but he just cries untill I pick him up. Please help!

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 11:03 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him cry, it won't hurt him..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 11:06 AM on May. 12, 2010

• That's why you aren't supposed to co-sleep. Because the child becomes too used to it, and then they refuse to sleep alone. You need to let him cry it out. My 11 month old puts himself to sleep...since he was 4 months old, all I had to do was lay him in his crib, and he'd roll over and put himself to sleep without a problem. You are gunna have to let your child cry themselves to sleep...it wont kill him, he'll be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i cosleep in the bed and wait until my dd is really asleep and pick her up and put her in the crib. its worked like a charm. and you know what nothing wrong with cosleeping. trying laying down with him and waiting until he is asleep and then transfering him to the crib. hope this helps. i have the same problem. she doesn;t sleep in the crib all the time but sometimes. it helps to get work down around the house. and i love cosleeping with her. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:19 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I think this may be a duplicate question.

Crying does hurt children. It hurts everyone. It causes many chemical changes in the body. You always want to treat children better than you would want people to treat you. Ren Ren isn't the kind of person I would want my children around.

Humans are supposed to co-sleep. That is the norm and what humans have always done. In most of the world mothers breastfeed and sleep with their babies. Cribs and solo sleep is what's abnormal and a huge social experiment. We don't know all the long term consequences of cio. Yes, letting your baby cio can kill them.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You have to wait until DEEP sleep if you are going to move him. We'd wake up too if we were moved in light sleep!
    If I want to get things done (I cosleep) I either nurse her to sleep lying down in our bed then slink away, or I wear her on my back in a mei tai or wrap and she'll sleep a much longer time. Yes, even when I vacuum!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:39 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I wanted to add that co-sleeping babies tend to sleep much better with normal activity and noise. When it is quiet and there are no sounds of life they awaken. It is like us when we notice our spouses have left the bed or haven't come to bed and we wake up in a panic sometimes or our sleep pattern is lighter because we know we are alone

Don't put stock into what anonymous says. ALL children go through a waking or can't sleep phase at some point in te first five years. Some as babies, some much older. Just wait until the nightmare of night potty training a toddler that doesn't wake at night at all..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I am a mother of 5 kiddos and I co-slept with my girls and boy at night...geezzz it is the only way to get any sleep, trust me I know what you are going through. I have found through experimenting with 5 that when I realized it was nap time, I would lay in the bed with my child, wait until he/she fell asleep and then tuck pillows around and keep checking in. Then at night would just keep persisting with the crib and I would actually place the crib next to me in my room. Yes the first 2 weeks of that are rough, but if the baby could look at me right there it helped and I actually could see and hear that there was nothing wrong with him/her and they would come from a full blown cry to a whimper and then just lay there and look at you and eventually fall alseep. I always made sure there was a night light, and heck I even put a fan in my room on medium (white noise). Soon in was my bed for nap and crib for night with fan and light
    JCstruegirl

Answer by JCstruegirl at 12:00 PM on May. 12, 2010