Gardening question

I tilled my garden yesterday, it was pretty weedy and now all the weeds/grass are kinda chopped up mixed with the dirt. do I have to get all this out or just get the big chunks and leave the rest??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Rake as much of it out as you can, or the grass will re-root. The you'll be back to square one.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:26 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I always pull the weeds out completely and throw them away. Then I add new dirt (Miracle Grow dirt) to the old dirt and mix it all together. It works out great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Grass will replant itself if there are any roots left, so rake out as much of it as you can, then just keep on top of it. Putting down a barrier weed cloth will generally keep grasses from coming back. Weeds that have taproots, like thistle & dandelions, will grow back if any of the taproot remains, so you need to get as much of them out of your garden as possible, preferably the whole root. If you don't get all of the taproot, expect the plant to regrow & be prepared to be out there yanking them out every few days. Other types of weeds will usually not survive once you've removed the bulk of the green parts, but if there are any seed heads, they will germinate, so again, it's best to remove as much of the material as you can.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Not only will the grass roots re-root, if you had a particularly virulent variety of crabgrass, every little piece is capable of extablishing a root base. Good news, if you get it all this year, next year will be considerable easier! Good luck!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 2:47 PM on May. 12, 2010