Age of Consent laws vs Marriage...

Say a little girl is awarded to a husband at age 12. The Age of Consent law for the country they're in says age 14, no matter gender or orientation or act.

Is the husband allowed to "technically" rape and sodomise the child since they are married? Or can the law criminalize him for doing so?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:29 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "awarded to a husband"? WTF what country are you in? 12 year olds can't get married even with parental consent here in the US.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I have no idea - but he SHOULD be able to be criminalized.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Ok, obviously if I were interested in your bashing bullshit, I would have asked for bullshit, ok? And another no-brainer, obviously this is NOT in the US, otherwise I would have put, "in the US..."

I am asking a serious question. If you don't have a legitimate answer, don't say a freakin' word, because this is NOT a joke, and it is happening to a VERY dear friend of mine!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You need to look for laws in that country. Some countries a girl is given in marriage when she is young but there is no sex until she is older. It could be that if she is married then consent isn't needed so sex is legal between man and wife.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on May. 12, 2010

• um... can the attitude... no one bashed you, just said it was wrong and sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 12, 2010

• "awarded to a husband"? WTF what country are you in?
    -------------------------------

Pretty sure this is bashing me. No where did I leave any names or places, and why on earth would one assume this was a joking matter? It looks like a text book question, and deserves a textbook answer. Not some "Who the hell ARE you?" kind of response. THANK YOU.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:49 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Gaill, she's muslim, and it's in their culture to marry early, but also to consummate immediately after the first menstrual cycle. However, they're not in a muslim country, they're in Portugal, where the age of consent is 14. I'm just wondering if there's anything the little girl can do to protect herself?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Generally the age of consent still applies but I'd suggest consulting with a lawyer. Has she started her period? If not it's always possible that she'll get lucky and not start until she's older anyway.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• if it's legal within their country and their culture, there isn't anything that can be done. however if they are in the u.s. then call the authorities. a 12 year old is not legal to marry in the u.s. no matter what her culture is.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• oh, and if age of consent for their country is 14, then it's not legal. there might be a "parental consent" rule though like the one in the u.s. that allows 16 year olds to marry.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:48 PM on May. 12, 2010