Heeelp

my husband was sitting with me in the kitchen while i m preaparing dinner. he was carying our baby who doesn t stop watching me. my husband says to him: what u wanna help ur mom in cooking?no,no,no don t do that, u won t do that.for my DH he s a boy he shouldnt help in the kitchen.is this right?being a boy gives him the right to choose his avtivities and limit to ones that i can do with my child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My boys always loved to help me. They started cracking eggs at 2! The favorite thing was baking brownies together. Your husband will get over this once your son starts growing up a little. My husband was like that too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:57 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Every child needs to learn the basic necessities of life...cooking, laundry, cleaning, dishes. otherwise, imagine how will he live when he's on his own
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:58 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Tell hubby that the world's most renowned chefs are MEN!!!!!!!
    My son loves the kitchen and cooking, as a toddler the only thing that he would watch were cooking shows on tv,he would sit still for this and nothing else. This is a very male macho typical response.

Answer by older at 12:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Um, NO! but you should also have know that this was your husband's character before having a child with him. He's probably like this in many other ways. My son LOVES to help me cook and cleaning has been his perferred activity since he could walk.. he loves it. I feel the as a parent, we should be able to introduce all area's to our children and they can decide what peaks their interests and we can support them in any area,.. My husband is not as comfortable when my son walks around carrying things and calling them his purse but he's just copying mommy right now and understands that when we talk about.. but he also reads books on raising boys and self esteem because we are leaning about being a parent constantly.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:02 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Hell yes, he can help in the kitchen. Look at all the famous chefs on TV these days? Cooking is COOL (EVEN for boys). LOL!
    Anonymous

• Gender has nothing to do with what a child can and cannot do. Do you know if your husband was teasing you? It could be that he wasn't being serious about what he was saying. Hopefully, because there are no gender roles and there never should've been. Males can do housework, cook, and take care of children just as a women can. Don't let anyone tell you what your son should or shouldn't be doing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:41 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Seems to me you and hubby-do need to have a chat, while baby is still to young to help in any event. Boys gotta eat, too, and if you eat you have to be able to clean up after yourself. Period. Plus, Junior will either be a kitchen kid or not...some kids love it, others hate it...ALL of them need to learn it!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 1:47 PM on May. 12, 2010