Can someone press charges?

If you had a private conversation (online) about someone (gossip)and it was hacked and sent to the person the conversation was about? Can they sue for harassment and emotional distress from the people talking about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The only person doing anything illegal in that situation is the hacker. My sister did that to me. Long story short, she was really rude to me and I vented to a friend about her via email then she hacked my email and totally flipped out, started spreading lies about me and trying to hack all my other online accounts. I changed all my passwords and even some of my usernames and told her if she didn't quit it I'd be reporting her activities to her ISP.

If you stick your nose in where it doesn't belong then you should expect to get in to trouble and find out things you didn't want to know.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:07 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Um harassment no...do you even know what harassment is? Emotional distress...probably...also lible (sp?) if what you were writing wasn't factual (which gossip usually isn't factual) would be added in there.
    Anonymous

• Wow! I didn't know it was illegal to gossip to another individual! LOL. A lot of cafemoms are going to jail.
    Anonymous

• NO they can't or rather it would be very hard to prove...so says my friend who is an atty
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:24 PM on May. 12, 2010

• That is what is wrong with this country. We no longer have freedom of speech. Something said PRIVATELY (not public) to just ONE individual and someone else gets a hold of it WITHOUT permission and sends it to that person? yea, they can sue the HACKERS/SENDERS for harassment and emotional distress. Gossip is tacky, yes, but not illegal This would be different if you spoke in public about a person.
    Anonymous

• How'd the hoot did they do that? Nothing amazes me much I gues..just be ware.. I'd hate to think someone was ot to get me & I had to worry about all that 'hoopla', ya know
    Anonymous

• OP*
    We don't know how it was obtained. But it was, because it was read back to me word for word. I have apologized to the person it hurt.
    Anonymous

• IMO. they have no leg to stand on. I watch Court TV all the time. That would be laughed out of the court room. Of course I don't have any real experience with it, but it just seems like that would be hard as heck to prove in court!

Anonymous

• LOL....as if. What makes you post crap like that,OP???
    Anonymous

• lmao @ Rhonda. true!
    Anonymous