PreK Free? What age?

If a public school offers PreK is it Free. What age do they need to be to enter PreK?
All I can find is Kindergarten info.
Is there a site I can go to for more info? .... Our school district sites only talk about K and up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In Montana we don't really have free pre-k. We have Head Start that is for financially-needy families (but it's an awesome school!) and they also have a special needs preschool that my son attends that is free to whoever qualifies. Both are sponsored by the school system. All other preschools are paid by the parents... and honestly... They remind me of a suped-up daycare. I wouldn't send my kids to preschool unless it one of the school system endorsed ones unless the child has never been in daycare. I think kids do need social skills before hitting kindergarten.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 9:28 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I never heard of free pre K. By me it's all private nursery schools.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:22 PM on May. 12, 2010

• In Chicago it's free starting at age 3.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:26 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I live in GA and they offer a lottery funded pre-k in the public schools and many daycare centers. The child has to turn 4 within the first few weeks of school. After touring a couple of schools I realized that it is just free day care and im not sending my 4 year old.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:27 PM on May. 12, 2010

• not all states have free pre k, here in MI any pre k programs are paid for by the parents
    what state are you in?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:35 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Check with your school district. Just give them a call, they can answer your question.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:36 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Head Start is a federally funded PreK that is free to parents for HS "hours", usually 9a-1p. But with so many working parents, many HSs offer "extended day" from like 7:30-5:30 and they have to charge a fee to be able to stay open those hours.
    In CT, there is also the School Readiness program, run by the CT Dept of Education. There is a sliding scale fee for that too, and it can be part day or full day there. I believe there are also scholarships for the SR program, making it "free" for parents.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:39 PM on May. 12, 2010

• head start is an income level and risk based program, you have to qualify to get in
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:43 PM on May. 12, 2010

• here in pa pre-k is free well at least the one my dd goes to she is 4
    gfam6

Answer by gfam6 at 12:56 PM on May. 12, 2010