How many words was your 20 month old saying? And when did they first start talking?

At 19 months my son said 2 words. Within the last 2 weeks he has been saying a new word everyday and is up to 15-20 words. I'm just wondering where he is now compared to most toddlers his age. It's so nice to FINALLY hear him talking! I love it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a couple. started walking at 18 months.
    Anonymous

• Oh my son has this verbal explosion at 19 months - he had lots of 1/2 words before that but pretty much only me and my mom knew what they were then it was like one day he woke up and it clicked or something.. !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My son is ten months now and properly uses 3 words (mama, dada, and more) and he says a 4th (good) but he just says that when i ask him to. He doesnt put it into context with anything yet.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:47 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my daughter was speaking in full sentences at 17 month
    Anonymous

• I think he was saying about 12-15 words at 18 months, but the pediatrician was surprised and said he was ahead of the curve so I think your son is right on track. It does seem like every day he learns new words now, isn't it fun to see how quickly they're learning and changing?!?!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 1:09 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My son is 18 months, is saying around 75-100 words I can think of off the top of my head, but he's coming up with a new one every day. Starting to speak in sentences (ie "What is this?")

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my son at 20 months was actually tested becaus he wasnt talking almostat all i mean he said a few words but i was really freaked out by how little he talked but now hes almost three and never shuts up lol i mean sentences and everything.. my little one who is now20 months has like over 20 words id say but everyday heis picking up new stuff
    logansmommy1018

Answer by logansmommy1018 at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2010

• It varies widely. My daughter knew over 100 words at 18 months, and now, at 20 months, is talking in sentences. I have no idea how many words she knows at this point. I think girls tend to have larger vocabularies faster. Some kids will say very little, then suddenly come out with a sentence. It's exciting when they start communicating :)
    tgeleynse

Answer by tgeleynse at 5:59 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my son just turned one and he says a few words: here, hey, yeah, mom, dad.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 6:03 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My daughter started speaking at 7.5 months; her first word was "Hi!". by 18 months she was speaking in complete sentences.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 PM on May. 12, 2010