• In the Spotlight:

How do you keep your toddler from developing the bad habits of the children you babysit?

Biting, hitting, pushing, stealing food, putting toys in their mouths...my so has recently started doing most of these things after I began babysitting. My son is almost 2. I correct them, and him,when I see it but I'm afraid it might become habitual.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• You have limited choices here because those are unfortunately some typical toddler behaviors.Sometimes toddlers don't express them till they've seen them.So you can
    ~Stop babysitting the children with the bad habits OR
    ~Continue to implement discipline through intervention,diversion and time outs for the bad behaviors..for ALL the children
    Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I have always explained to my daughter that just because someone else may allow their children to behave certain ways it is not acceptable behavior to me and not allowed. We have this problem with her cousins. But during and sometimes after each visit we talk about why we have the rules we do. Our children will always have friends that are allowed to do things they can't. The sooner they understand that the better.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:58 PM on May. 12, 2010

• 2 is a hard age for them to really understand that. My son goes to a Daycare Center and had gotten bit and hit there and now thinks its ok behavior at home to do to us, however I am also told this is a phase/age this happen's naturally, I believe that my son picked up these behaviors at his school and now I have to correct what's he's learned.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:05 PM on May. 12, 2010