How is a child poisoned by mercury?

As I'm reading the forum about disabilities a poster mentioned that Jenny M. son has mercury poisoning and not autism.
I've never heard about a child with mercury poisoning. How does a child get poisoned by mercury?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• OOPS! Here is the link that was cut off from above: http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Mercury-Poisoning-FaginMar02.htm

as far as Anon:16, that was me, though I didn't mean to click the anon! That passage is from the same article as the above link.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:23 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I supposed by ingesting something that contains mercury.. but im not sure.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 1:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Mercury can be gained from all different sources. It's one of the major problems with polution, especially in our oceans, which is why when you're pregnant you're supposed to limit the amount of certain fish you eat because of the mercury. Anti-vaccination folks will tell you that the thermisol used as a preservative in some vaccinations is enough to do it. There are a lot of sources of mercury, and the ones that have the most effect is from pollution from industrial applications.
    Anonymous

• Ziggy...
    I supposed by ingesting something that contains mercury.. but im not sure.

Thanks but what? I'm getting worried....I thought that mercury wasn't harmful. I remember that my mom used to use merthiolate as antiseptic. Is this what they are talking aboutd? I don't know anymore!!!
    Anonymous

• Ziggy, mercury can also be absorbed through the skin. It doesn't actually have to be ingested or injected straight into the body.
    Anonymous

What products? does anyone know?
    Anonymous

• Many autistic parents feel that heavy metal poisoning is the cause and that chelation therapy works. Unless she lives in a coal mine, someplace that has contaminated air and water, or fed her child tons of contaminated fish, it's very unlikely that is.

Anonymous

Too bad I didn't study chemistry or whatever it's suppose to be. But what "through the skin" what are you talking about?
    Anonymous

So parents with a child living in these situations have to take precautions. I don't get it. And if the water is contaminated how do they know that it came from the water. The more I read the more confused I get.
    Anonymous

• OK this is what you can do.

Call any laboratory in your area and ask them if they can provide you with literature of mercury poisoning.
    Anonymous