6 weeks old and constipated

My baby hasn't pooped in over 48 hours. I tried calling the doctor but they haven't called me back yet. What was the longest your babies went without pooping?

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 1:49 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• formula or breastfed?
    is the baby straining to poop? distended tummy?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:52 PM on May. 12, 2010

• When my son and my daughter were that age, when they would get constipated, my mother taught me how to get them to poop. This may sound gross, but it really works...and I did it every time. You take a thermometer, and stick it in their butt like you are taking their temp rectaly. It will make them poop right away, so make sure you have a diaper or something under their butt when you do it. It doesn't hurt them, but being constipated doesn't feel good...so this is what I always did with my kids...just stick it in a little...and they usually poop right away. Works every time. It will help them out a lot.
    Anonymous

• babies do not go everyday like adults to since they don't take in as many fillers. Formula fed can go 5-6 days while breast fed can go longer. The fillers are what form poop. Since they don't take them in, they don't have much to get out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• formula, not straing just hasn't pooped, eating fine
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• If baby isn't straining, and is eating fine, then obviously there's not enough waste there for him/her to have to poop. Nothing wrong with a baby going a few days between poops if everything else is fine. Your doctor will tell you the same thing.
    Anonymous

• It is not unusual for breastfed babies to go for a week or more without pooping -- they just go a lot at one time rather than a little bit every day-- fondly known as a poo bomb. A sign of constipation is a hard to pass stool, belly ache, crying, distended belly etc.. Even in a formula fed baby, a space of time between poos is not necessarily constipation. Don't go sticking thermometers in the rectum, if the baby is truly constipated that won't help. If the poo comes out easily, then it wasn't constipation in the first place and you could do more harm than good.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:58 PM on May. 12, 2010

• sounds like a normal baby to me, if the baby isn't showing signs of being uncomfortable then don't stress
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:02 PM on May. 12, 2010

• if it really bothers you, you could try a warm bath and bicycling his legs. if he seems comfortable, then don't worry!
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2010

• couple drops of prunew juice before the bottle two or three times until he gos.
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 2:54 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My son used to go 4-5 days. The doctor said it was normal for him. It's only constipation if he's straining and poop comes out hard and pebbly. I think it is normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on May. 12, 2010