well apparently I'm weird?

I'm a sahm and during the week I don't usually go out to many playdates maybe once or twice a week. My friend asks me why I stay at home all the time I just have cleaning to do etc. DS and I do play outside a lot. So how many times do you go out for playdates?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• umm right now never, I used to go once or twice a week, we just moved away from where my play group was, but I guess we go once or twice a week to spend time with their cousin, I dont think your weird, if your weird so am I. I enjoy spending one on one time with my kids, and there is a lot more to do at home then just clean.
    Anonymous

• Never. Seriously, we've never done a playdate and my oldest is 8.5. We're in a tiny town, I'm not going to drive 20-50 miles for my kids to play with other kids they may not like. I see nothing wrong with it either.
    Anonymous

• A lot of parents don't. They make sure their child has some outside time, play ground, or backyard, doesn't matter. One of my friends is afraid of play dates, because the first one she took her child to, he got sick. So, she won't do play dates anymore. He just plays outside with him watching her. Depending on the age of your child, I don't think play dates are that important.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 1:56 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I dont do play dates but my neices love to come over and take my daughter outside all the time,
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:58 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I have never taken my youngest son (2) on a playdate, it just doesn't seem like fun to me. My son has older siblings that he plays with (who are in school), and we go on adventures several times a week - shopping, the zoo (when it warms up), etc.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:59 PM on May. 12, 2010

• im a SAHM also and we dont have play dates either we go outside to play but rarely leave the house
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:07 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I think interraction is SO important of any kind.Have you ever thought of taking a mom-*&*-tot gymnastics play group? I did that with my dd @ 3, it was allot of fun.The environment was cool & she tried some neet things, I helped it was cool.She's in pre-school now & 4. I don't think to much about "play dates'', I guess my 20 month old has some, some times I never thought of it like that I guess.He has a cousin that is basically the same age, they play together 1 or 2 times a month & they have seen eachother 3 times in one week.IDK, I guess everyone has diffrent ways of looking @ it.My 20 month old has siblings 4,7,10 & 17, so he gets plenty of stimulation~ I think it's jst making sure they are ready for pre-school & then kindergarten most of all, so they don't end up behind.Some kids have a hard time playing"catch-up", & some kids are OVER stimulated, ahhh ~ ahy~it's all good..
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 2:15 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I'm a SAHM too and I take my Son to the Library for toddler playtime and a lot of other activities there once or twice a week. He Loves to go for the New toys (ones that we don't have at home), the train table and the books. But he really shows no interest to play with the other kids at this age. Most of the children who go love it for the same reason but there really is no interaction between the kids. I thought this was weird but that's how they are at that age. They all do their own thing there. So I really don't think play dates are necessary for children's development when they are under 3. Play dates are more for the Moms I think. My Son loves just take short rides or to stay home and go outside to "look for bugs and dig in the dirt".

Anonymous

• My son is 2 1/2 and I've never had a "play date" for him... I felt awful about that at first, when my MIL told me that I was probably harming his social skills by not letting him play a lot with other kids, but once he was old enough to be interested in other kids, he just started making his OWN friends, and I never had to "force" them on him. We go to the park now, and he walks right up to the other kids and says, "Hi, wanna play?". Most of the time, the other kids get shy and won't play with him, but I know for a fact that my son was NOT harmed by me keeping him away from other kids for the first two years of his life. He is well-adjusted, not shy in the least, and likes other kids. Probably because I never forced him to play with other kids who he may or may not have liked, or who may have been mean to him. I think I did him a favor.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:30 PM on May. 12, 2010

• We have a backyard and a wooden swing set. It helps that my kids are close in age. I never went on any playdates. I have to find the right people and get that going. I don't feel it's that important. Now that my children are older though I want to consider inviting people over just to hang out with.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:45 PM on May. 12, 2010