Is it ok to throw yourself a baby shower if?.....................

I was wanting to know is ok to throw yourself a baby shower when everybody that you know is too busy to give one? Im in a financial bind and really need alot of baby items.I got the major stuff like crib,car seat,stroller,high chair,and swing.I know showers are to help the new parents financially but I dont want to feel stupid or rude if throwing a shower for yourself isn't appropriate.Help should I or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't throw myself a party, but I'd set myself up on some registers for the stuff I need and send out little cards to friends and family saying that I'm registered at these different sites/stores.
    Anonymous

• it is in poor taste to throw yourself one, especially if it is just to get gifts and you already have pretty much all that you need. What some people do is throw a "meet the baby" party right after they are born and often times guest will bring baby gifts to those. Good Luck!!

Anonymous

• Throwing one yourself makes you look selfish, and greedy. If your family knows you need some thing they should throw you one.

Answer by louise2 at 2:12 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Who ever said it's wrong to throw yourself a shower? I bought most the things for the shower my mom hosted for me. She made the food. I bought the games and prizes. ( at all a dollar ) Do two games... some streamers... make sandwiches, and watermelon.

If I were where you are I'd throw you a shower myself. : ) Maybe if you're more comfy you could say hey so and so.... will you host it if I buy the invites, and supplies?

Yes and keep your eyes peeled for adds for free baby items. What state are you in? If you're in UT I have baby stuff I no longer use.
    Anonymous

• PP is right. Throwing your own baby shower (especially when you have all of the big items) would not be worth it. By the time you spend the money on the shower supplies, food and everything, you could have bought baby clothes and diapers yourself.
    I would just register somewhere and keep an eye out for sales, especially on craigslist. Look for baby consignment shops.
    Have you asked your friends to throw you one?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:14 PM on May. 12, 2010

• it is incredibly tacky to throw your own shower.
    if you have the big items, what is it that you need that you can't afford?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:16 PM on May. 12, 2010

• me and my husband threw ourself a baby shower right before my daughter was born because neither family wanted to help us out. my mom threw my first baby shower when i was pregnant with my son. me and my husband are still in a financial bind right now. i dont think it is a bad idea to throw yourself a babyshower.
    timsangel

Answer by timsangel at 2:16 PM on May. 12, 2010

• TACKY!!! If you're in that big of a financial bind that you can't afford a few minor things (since you already have all the major stuff) then you shouldn't be having a baby. Plus if you already have all that stuff what's left? A few clothes, diapers? No, that's just greedy and rude.
    Anonymous

• No, you aren't supposed to do that.
    Anonymous

• It is traditional to have someone else throw the baby shower for you, however, nowadays, it is not necessary. You can throw it yourself, no one will think of it as bad etiquette. However, if its your second baby, and your first baby already got a baby shower, and you are throwing the shower yourself for the second baby, it may look a little bad, sort of greedy. So if its your second child, ask a friend to throw it for you and you'll just pay for the shower stuff yourself. That way no one will know that its really you throwing it for yourself, but you have a frontwoman doing the contacting and stuff.
    Anonymous