nearly two and still not talking, NEED ADVICE

my son is 22 months ( he will be 2 in early july) he started saying a few words at 11 months so i was optomistic that his vocabulary would expand quickly and he's be speaking at the very lastest 18 months. Now, he seems to have become lazy with his speech opting to make sounds and point rather than talk/ My mother helped him learn some sign language to encourage him to ask for things like his cup and say please and thank you. In the beginning he would make the gesture and attempt to say the word as well but now only a few weeks later he's gotten lazy with that as well. I've been trying to get him to ask for things he wants rather than just signing or pointing but when he doesn't get what he wants he throws a fit. i don't know what to do! his pediatrician doesnt seem concerned but told me that if he isnt talking at hs 2 year checkup she's going to have him see a speech therapist. He's very smart and i know he knows his words

ingrid198

Asked by ingrid198 at 2:11 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would contact your early intervention program if you are concerned
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:18 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my dd didnt talk til she was three, then it was like she went to sleep and the next morning she could talk! She just turned 4 and now I can't get her to be quite!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:19 PM on May. 12, 2010

• what can he say? I don't really think kids at this age are "lazy" though.. however Let him throw the fits and longer and longer each time.. that way it might push him to say then instead of point. My girlfriend had to do this with her daughter..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:19 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I agree with the last post you should let him throw his fits. If you give in with out him saying what he is suppose to then he is going to know he can get just throw a fit and you will give him what he wants. Good Luck going threw the speech stage can be hard and fun!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 2:33 PM on May. 12, 2010

• thanks for the suggestions. i havent been giving in to his tantrums. my mom just suggested positive reineforcement with a treat like a cheerio or pretzel for when he cooperates, that may work too. i guess he is still young and has time but its discouraging when you see the kids that are 16 months and are talking up a storm.
    ingrid198

Answer by ingrid198 at 2:36 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i have one child that didn't really take off with his talking until he was 3. you might just have a stubborn child on your hands!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:41 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my son is almost 25 months old and still has some delays but it seems these past couple of weeks his verbal communication has improved 90%. He has speech therapy twice a week for 30 minutes. You just gotta be persistant! When my son is thirsty, he usually throws the cup at me, or drags me by the hand to the fridge. But lately I'll ask him what he wants or I'll have him point to what he wants in the fridge and I'll label it for him and have him repeat it. He knows how to use his words, he just prefers the easy way since I've done it all for him. If he doesnt say anything I dont give it to him. He's finally getting it and now tells me "joo joo" for juice or "mih" for milk. I praise him and he gets what he wants!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:53 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I took my son to a speech therapist last fall, he was around your son's age. She said to really praise him when he used words. She said to try and get him to say the word, and at first accept any attempt. Then clap and lay on the praise. After a while of that try and get him to say the word more clearly, and once again lay on the praise.
    This has helped our son. He is doing better, but he is not where he "should" be for his age. I am not worried as long as he is improving.
    You might want to see if there is an early intervention program in your community. They might be able to help you more.
    Slieurance

Answer by Slieurance at 10:51 PM on May. 13, 2010