my 4yr old's teeth are rotted

he had a calcium defitioncy (sp?) that we didn't find out about untill last year. his top front teeth are rotting out. it looks very similer to bottle rot. should we have them pulled or wait for them to fall out naturally? he starts school this year and i don't want him to be teased, but i also don't want to put him through the pain if i don't have to. what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honey, you need a new dentist. My grandfather was a dentist for over 50 yrs. I actually asked him what to do and he said any dentist who thinks rotten teeth are okay is a whack job... LOL. Sorry...nothing against you... just my Gpa is funny. He also said that I was correct about the infection. (thank goodnes b/c I grad nursing school in 12 days...) Please take him to another dds and get those teeth pulled before they cause an abcess. He will be double miserable then.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 4:10 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I would have them pulled.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:13 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Oral health is connected to overall body health, I would talk to a pediatric dentist and ask what they recommend.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:14 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Take him to a dentist. I believe that if they are truly rotten/infected, they have to be pulled, so the infection doesn't spread. He will be in pain for a day or two, but he will get over it. I remember that I had one or two or three teeth pulled when I was about that age and all I remember is the dentist and the dreams I had under the gas...I do not remember the pain.
    Anonymous

• I would have them pulled and have him put to sleep when it is done. I had 5 teeth pulled when I was 8 and my parents couldn't afford to have me put out. I had the dentist now, I get anxiety attacks when I even have to call and just make an appt. Also, you could ask the dentist but I always thought that if they were left too long that it would continue on to the adult teeth.
    Anonymous

• whoops, hate not had the dentist
    Anonymous

• You need to get him to a dentist yesterday - that's the only person who can answer this question for this child. And if you have been to a dentist, and they didn't do anything, you need a new dentist.
    Anonymous

• Pull them. Leaving rotten teeth in will only lead to an infection.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2010

• op here- i have taken him to a dentist every 6 mo sense he was 18 mo old (more often lately). the dentist said it's my choice, and as of now his adult teeth are not in danger. i have to take him in every 6 to 8 weeks just to keep an eye out for further damage, but the rot has been stopped from progressing.

Anonymous

• I would say "pull 'em." If it will cause less pain in the future, might as well nip it in the bud right now. I just recently found out my son had 5 cavities (4 between his teeth). We went in yesterday and had 8 caps and 1 filling done. Instead of just filling the cavaties on the ones on the sides of the teeth, I decided to cap them to insure he wouldn't have anymore problems with them. He's 4 and already had that many cavaties... I didn't see it getting much better. He "lucked out" and got my families teeth (from my mom's side) and I know that this won't be the last time he's put under. I'm just hoping and praying that his adult teeth come in good. We brush their teeth at least once a day and his sister (who is only 17 months younger) was told she had BEAUTIFUL teeth.... I guess she got the good teeth of her dad's family!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 9:23 PM on May. 12, 2010