I need help with bugs in our organic garden.

I’m helping the kids grow an organic garden so I can start them off eating healthy, but we’re currently having an insect infestation in the garden and I’m not sure how to get rid of them besides using a chemical insect killer or making my own homemade repellent, which I don’t have time for since I’m a single mother. Are there any organic solutions I can buy at the store?
I found an organic bug spray called Safer Brand EndAll online:
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5102.
It targets a wide range of bugs and kills them at all stages of their life cycle. Has anyone tried this one? Thanks!

samanthatasbyhu

Asked by samanthatasbyhu at 2:18 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i don't know what kind of bugs you have...
    ecosmart makes a garden insect repellent, you can order it online at www.ecosmart.com
    i have heard that you can plant marigolds around the perimeter of your garden to repel bugs.
    i think the best route would be to identify your bugs, and research natural repellents for them.
    growing up, we never used anything in our garden, and i just started my own last year, i didn't have bug issues, just my own watering issues.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Ever heard the saying "if you build it, they will come"? Well, it is the same for your garden, "if you plant it, they will find it"; the bugs, that is. It's very quick & easy to make a homemade insecticidal soap, so I'd start with that rather than a chemical-based one, since it will be much cheaper. If it doesn't work out, then you can always invest in a commercial product.

A 1% to 2% concentration of soap in water is an appropriate dilution for insecticide soap. This mixture will kill insects w/o risking burning the plant. This equates to approximately five Tbs of soap per one gal of water. Most recipes recommend using two tsps of dish detergent per quart of water, while those who use castile soap should add one or two tablespoons per quart of water. Blend the ingredients in a large pot or bucket, and then transfer them to a spray bottle as needed. The mixture will keep indefinitely.

Cont below....
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:36 PM on May. 12, 2010

• It is important to spray the insecticide directly on pests, saturating them thoroughly. Spray every bit of the plant w/the soap insecticide, paying special attention to intersections & the undersides of leaves where pests hide and lay eggs. Once the soap residue has dried on the plant, it will lose its insect-killing properties. Rinse off the film & re-apply about once a week until no signs of infestation are visible. Soap insecticides only kill small, soft-bodied insects like aphids, spider mites, white flies, mealybugs, and immature scales. They will also destroy all eggs, including those of moths, flies & beetles, as well as very small larvae. Larger pests (Japanese beetles, maggots, and caterpillars, for example) will be unaffected. B/c of this, adding an all-purpose repellant to the mixture may be beneficial.

If the soap doesn't take care of the pests you have, then you may have to go ahead & buy a commercial produc
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:39 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Sorry don't know what kind of bugs you have, but if rabbits become an issue, sprinkle talcum powder on veggies and they stay away!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:25 PM on May. 14, 2010