Why does my 2-yr old constantly ask for food?

My 2-yr old daughter is constantly telling me that she wants to eat, even right after a meal. I tell her know and she freaks out. I know she isn't starving and I am tired of having to tell her no and get out of the kitchen. I hope she doesn't have an eating disorder.

Onatthia

Asked by Onatthia at 4:10 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she eat a lot of sugary snacks and not enough nutritional food? Sometimes sugar just makes you hungry for more sugar. But she also could be going through a growth spurt. Sometimes my daughter eats next to nothing and other days she eats everything in sight.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:15 PM on May. 12, 2010

• has her blood sugar been checked? my niece is hypoglycemic and she always wants to eat
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:21 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Growth spurts are normal in toddlers.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 4:36 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my 2 yo son is the same way-he wants to eat what im eating after hes done. so i try to eat the same times he does. but it doesnt seem to work. i duno why they do it! but ur not alone..as long as the foods they want is healthy an not junk-i dnt see why giving them more food. im not sayingfeed them til theyre fat-but a kid knows when theyre finished eating or not hungry ne more..maybe theyre not full
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 4:47 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I doubt she has an eating disorder. They aren't things that you can develop that young just because an eating disorder is a psychological problem that takes years to develop, and is usually rooted in body image issues, i.e. the classic "I'm too fat" when they look like they are starving to death. Pre-teen and teen years are the most common times for an eating disorder to develop, so you've got time yet.
    Most kids that age prefer to snack instead of limiting themselves to three set meals. They use lots of energy running around and need to replace it. You might try leaving a tray or bowl with fruits or a cereal/granola mix for her to snack on throughout the day so she isn't constantly having to run to you to ask for more food.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:26 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My 20 mo old daughter is the same way. Even if she's just eaten a good meal, she will frequently ask me for a "snack". I've started telling her "No, we just had lunch, you should have eaten then" if she's just gotten out of her chair. If its been a little while, I will give her a cup of Cheerios or put her in her chair with some veggies and dip or something. Little kids do need to eat a lot more often than we do.
    tgeleynse

Answer by tgeleynse at 5:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Give her a cup of water and sugar snaps.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my dd does this when she's bored or thirsty.
    donnamama

Answer by donnamama at 9:21 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my 2 yr old does this. I just giver her fruit and healthy snacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on May. 13, 2010