can you take a hpt and it show up neg then go back and check and it be positive

I took a dollar tree test lastnight and it came out negitive then about two minutes later I went back in an it was positive, is it possible to have a false positive? I have taken two wal mart brand and they were both very faint positive but I went to the free clinc and theirs came back negitive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yup that has happened to me and I was not pregnant.
    Anonymous

• the dollar tree tests are pretty sensitve, if you have 3 posiives Im willing to bet you are pregnant.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 4:41 PM on May. 12, 2010

• It could be an evaporation line.
    Anonymous

• If you read the test after the allotted time then yes, it happens all the time.. Never read a test after the time line.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:47 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I got a faint positive & the Dr.'S showed negative & turned positive later because I was so early.
    briandaddie

Answer by briandaddie at 4:47 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Yep...and I was pregnant with my daughter.
    Anonymous

• i had one do that, i wasnt pregnant
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:57 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Okay if you read it after the time it stated on the box then it could be an evaporation line or it could be that you are pregnant and the one at the clinic was negative because it is a little early in the pregnancy. I would wait a few days and take another one or go back to the clinic in a few days if your period hasn't started. It is not possible to get a false positive unless you are taking some sort of hormone therapy or reading after the allotted time and reading the evaporation line.
    Anonymous

• It happened to me last month and I'm not pregnant.

Wait a week and test again.
    Anonymous

• yep I have with my first I knew I was pregnant and bought about 5 tests and took them only like 3 days before my period and they were negative and some positive. Went to my doc he said it was inconclusive then 3 days later it was positive the next was positive and the next and so on went to the doctor week later it was positive my hcg level wasn't high enough to detect fully. With this pregnancy however I was around a baby that was crying and my boobs started hurting really bad didn't think I was pregnant but got a test the next day when I didn't start that morning like I do at clock work walked away from it and it was a dollar store brand came back in ten minutes and it had to lines I was shocked out my mind I knew with my first but not this one I just gave up on trying and low and behold I'm 12 wks good luck.
    Anonymous