What kind of spices do you use in Veggie Soup? Any other special ingredient?

I am making Veggie Soup tonight for Dinner, it is usually always good but I was wanting to know what you other ladies do to make it GREAT?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 4:58 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make it different all the tiem but one of my fav. ways is to saute onion, celery and carrots in oil or butter. add some basil (dried is ok) the add beef broth ( use water and beef cubes) and a large can of tomato soup (i used crushed tomatoes instead too) add 1 can drained grn beans, frozen corn and peas. Lots of time we put ground beef in it as well. I either put potatos or noodles. My dd likes it when i use the tomato soup and add really tiny star noodles. At farmer market we get amish noodles that are tiny alphabets. that makes it fun too!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:10 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Cilantro makes every plate perfect! LOL
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 5:11 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I like to use lots of herbs. Every vegetable we have in the house, usually. Sometimes I'll put some rice in it for some starch; you can do the same with barley or pasta. How I fix it depends on what's at hand, though- a kitchen sink vegetable soup if you will ;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:11 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I just made some last night - it's a bit different so I'll post the whole "recipe". (IMO different veggie soups need different stuff.)
    I cooked 2lbs hamburger with 1 chopped up onion, and drained. 2lbs frozen mixed veggies & a 46oz can low sodium vegetable (or tomato) juice. I boil 1-2 cups water and put in 3-4 low sodium beef boullion cubes and add that. Mix in the meat. Add parsley, black pepper, chili powder, last night for something different I added a bit of Lawry's seasoned salt - big mistake though. I cook it til the juice reduces and it's nice & thick. Last night I added a handful of instant brown rice near the end. In the past I've added other stuff like sage, thyme, italian seasoning...I just go by taste every time but last night's was the plainest and probably the best yet.
    Anonymous

• I use a packet of Lipton vege soup mix. It comes in a box with 2 packets in it. You can make excellent spinach dip with it too. It's got everything in it.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:30 AM on May. 14, 2010