How much does it cost to adopt a child and do they run a credit check..do you have to be financially well off to be approved to adopt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can pay anywhere from nothing (adopting through foster care), to $10,000 from some agencies, to $30,000 depending on which route you choose. International tends to be very expensive, but some people have reimbursement plans from their employers. There is an adoption tax credit which has recently been made fully refundable (at least I think I heard that it was). We used Catholic Charities and paid $5,000 plus legal fees the first time and $10,000 plus legal the second time. It was two different offices in different dioceses, and they set their own fees.

We are lower income since I gave up my job to stay home with our DD. We had to show the agency that we had a plan for financial success, and make a detailed budget. The agency (both times) was concerned, but the judge never was. They also want to know that your home is safe and you are stable.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Prices vary. You'd have to call an agency and ask. You have to be financially stable and prove you can afford to adopt. They do all sorts of checks, background, credit and everything else they can think of. They talk to friends, family and neighbors. They do all these things to protect the child. Not bashing but if you saw the Oprah show about that lady that adopted those boys and abused them and almost starved them, you'd know why that checking is important

Answer by admckenzie at 5:08 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I think you need to be financially and emotionally stable to adopt out of an agency, but I know adopting through foster care can be more lenient. GL
    Anonymous