Do you recieve money for adopting out your baby/child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• OP, I'm glad you clarified. As others have said, it is only legal for the potential adoptive parents to pay reasonable expenses like medical. In some states it's not legal to pay much beyond that. We adopted twice, and our lawyer told us "don't even so much as buy her a Coke without checking with me". If the judge sees it as buying a baby, the whole thing is in jeopardy. By the time you get to court, the baby has been in your home at least six months. You (the PAPs, I mean) don't want to take a chance on losing a child you have begun to bond with.

In the short term (and some would say the long term), abortion appears to be the easier choice. I havn't placed a child for adoption, so I can't say how it feels. I just know that I could not live with ending my child's life rather than raising him/her or finding another mom and dad.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:18 PM on May. 12, 2010

• You can. Patricuarly mothers who look for birth parent before their child is born can recieve compensation..
    Anonymous

• you can get expenses re-imbursed to you, but it is agaist the law to sell a baby.
    Anonymous

• like PP said, you can be reimbursed for things like medical expenses from prenatal care and birth, but it is ILLEGAL to sell you baby. It's also illegal to accept reimbursement for expenses if you were on insurance/medicaid and the expenses were already covered.
    Anonymous

• Is this really what you want to know? IF you are serious, call some agencies. If you are pregnant living expenses and medical expenses can be provided, if the child has already been born, I am unsure if there is anything for you.

I hope that you are not viewing your baby as a $. This can't be a motivating factor for you. Please think this through. If your baby is just a number to you, I hope you are able to put that child into a loving forever home.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:30 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Not a dime. I wasn't in it for the money, I was looking into it because I knew I couldn't be a single parent to my baby when he/she was born. I went through a Christian agency, the a-parents had to pay the fees & whatnot but I didn't get any - but like I said, I wasn't looking to get paid.
    Anonymous

• No, I wasn't asking for myself. I'm keeping my kiddos...
    I was wondering because I was thinking that payment may be more enticeing to someone faced with the option of abortion or adoption. If they knew they would get money for adoption, maybe they would go that route. But then again that could be a whole other slew of issues and problems if that were offered.
    Anonymous

• "I was wondering because I was thinking that payment may be more enticeing to someone faced with the option of abortion or adoption. If they knew they would get money for adoption, maybe they would go that route. But then again that could be a whole other slew of issues and problems if that were offered."

Which is exactly why it's illegal.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:15 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Many agencies have found ways around these laws and pay for many things that they really shouldn't.
    Anonymous