adoption

i was just wondering if anyone ever felt like they made a mistake in adoping a child? that the negatives outweighed the positives...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• I guess then you'd have to ask, do you ever think it was a mistake to give birth to a child and keep it.
    Anonymous

• I have never felt that I made a mistake adopting my kids. At this point in my life, I see my infertility as a blessing because it brought me the specific kids I have.

OP, are you considering adopting and trying to make a decision, or are you having a hard time now with a child that you adopted? If so, please get some help. I know that there can be tremendous stressors whether you adopt a child who has been neglected and/or traumatized, a child who was prenatally substance-exposed, or a child with other special needs.

If you are already a parent, please get help and don't give up on your child. We had a very hard time with behavior during the toddler years (I am not exxagerating - it was extreme), but things have improved a great deal. Some things will pass, and other things you just learn to deal with.

PM me if you want, and I'll try to respond within a couple of days.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:56 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I have never felt I made a mistake by adopting, in fact I would love to adopt more children. My son is my blessing, and I could never imagine my life without him. Children have always played a major role in my life. I knew in my heart adoption was right for me. I have never had doubts. If you are thinking about adopting and are having doubts please do not adopt. If you have an adopted child and are having these feelings please get help. It is kind of hard to tell what you are going through by your post. If you need someone to listen or a friend please feel free to message me.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I have never for one second regretted adopting my daughter.

I believe adoption can have negative points for all triad members, but for me the positives so very much out weigh anything negative that has popped up in the past 4 years.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:07 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Never a regret or mistake in the adoption of my daughter. Though it was a heartbreaking road to travel. Even though much was lost more was gained!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I have never felt that it was a mistake to adopt my child but have second guessed the path that I used. The adoption was extremely expensive, much more expensive that it originally was supposed to be. I wish I had went with an agency where I would have known up front how much it would cost vs. going with a private adoption where I was nickel and dimed for much more money that I would have originally paid.

Most people dont realize that adoptive Moms can be just as likely to fall into depressions after the birth of a child as one who just gave birth. You are working on a lack of sleep and all of the emotions, plus you have even more desire to put on a happy face to the outside world since you worked so hard for this. There are people to help you, dont be afraid to ask if that is your issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on May. 13, 2010

• No.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 8:24 AM on May. 13, 2010

• no!
    Anonymous

• Not even for a second, I am so very grateful for my children:)
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 3:41 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No. I regret some parts of the process on the road to adoption but never my child. I have wondered if down the road what my thoughts would be on parenting and regrets of raising a child. Not long ago I met a coulple who is not in contact with the biological child they raised. They regretted having that particular person. They never felt a connection, a very demanding personality, and later drug use. They tried but this person took advantage of them and only wanted the parents they could provide. The parents were good people and with most other kids would have been awsome parents. But it got me to thinking about how drained some parents are with their adult children with issues. How some have confided it would be better to have never conceived that child. Not bad people just hard issues. I know I do not regret my child or how we became a family but when faced with hard times I may regret choices in parenting or even
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:05 PM on May. 14, 2010