Cat with long hair getting poopy in it

My long-haired cat keeps getting poop stuck in her butt fur. These dingleberries are gross, especially because she likes getting in our beds with us. They get all mashed into her fur around her rear and she can't lick them out. The problem is that she acts like a total maniac if we try to trim the hair on her bottom. Last time we did it, she went berserk and ended up getting a little cut on her fanny from the scissors. She won't even let us wipe the poop, much less trim it out. It's gross and I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions other than taking her to a professional groomer every 2 months for a bottom-shave? I can't afford that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Pets

• I would use clippers instead of scissors to give the cat a "trap door" then at least you won't risk cutting the cat. This way the area is shaved a good bit and you won't have to worry about this. granted it may not be as nice looking as a grromers but it would be done. I treat my cats like my dogs so they are used to me clipping their nails and trimming the hair so I can do it by myself but if you can get someone to either scruff the cat or hold it in a way that you can clip the back you should be able to get it done. Someties covering the face helps to keep them calm.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:40 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I would put in a call to the vet just to see if you can do something else. You may be able to give her a mild sedative so you can buzz it yourself...good luck!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:47 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i hear ya...we have one big fat fatty that is too fat to lick his behind but wont let us help him and i find it disgusting but my dh ...well, you know...i really don't even want to get into it. They are his little poopy pukey kitties and i just have to live with it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:50 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I agree about the sedative. Explain you don't have the cash to pay to have it done professionally. You can also try giving her that hairball gel (if she'll like the taste) and that might help with softening the poop so it won't get stuck.
    Anonymous

• have you tried wrapping her up in a towel so she cannot wiggle or scratch you and then using clippers? good luck!
    r4str

Answer by r4str at 4:24 PM on May. 13, 2010