What is a good excuse for leaving a job when putting together a resume?

I have always quit my jobs and never really had a good reason. One time I just didn't like the other employees, another I was being harassed by a manager and the store owners wouldn't do anything about it. Another time I worked for my best friends mom and she ended up spreading rumors about my personal life to everyone. Another I was pregnant and the manager was making me work my ass off. I just don't think I should put those reasons on a resume or even say them in an interview. Wont they make me look bad? What are some short excuses that can be used for just about anything? I can't seem to find an internet site with any on it so I wanted to ask you guys. I just can't think of any. Thanks..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• unsolveable differances. i quit my last job and when i do go on a job interview when i finish school i will say this and ofcourse the going back to school thing too. but unsolveable differances should work for ya.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:54 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Taking care of an ailing relative? Going back to school full-time?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:54 PM on May. 12, 2010

• School. Better Opportunity. Moved (if you moved to another state). Personally I never put down why I left. If you change jobs but stay in the same field, it helps. The resume is just to get them to want to ask questions. If you don't put that down then it gives them a chance to call you in for an interview and ask questions.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Or, they wouldn't give you as many hours as you needed or there was no opportunity to advance-makes you sound ambitious.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Pregnancy is a valid reason. Other than that I would say you had an opportunity for career advancement elsewhere or you relocated.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• The best thing to put on a resume is THE TRUTH.
    Anonymous

• Be careful about putting too much information on a resume. A resume should be summary of what your responsibilities were and what you accomplished in your career. Hopefully, you have great professional references, and an up-to-date Linkedin Profile.

I do career and job search coaching; send me a message offlist if you would like me to help you with your resume, coverletters, job search strategy, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Well first I have never seen anyone put the reason for leaving on a resume so I would not put it there and only mention it in the interview IF they ask. Then I would simply state issues with coworkers etc and not go into detail.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:24 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Always be positive....you loved the position but moved on to take a better opportunity for blah, blah, blah reason
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• You don't put an "excuse" for leaving a job on a resume. That is put on an application. It is ALWAYS best to tell the TRUTH. I have gone through resume writing classes and we NEVER had to put a reason for leaving on the resume. Contact your local job service office or PA office for resume writing help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on May. 12, 2010