I think my dr is wrong, but to close to get a new one!!!!

Alright im due to have my c section in two weeks. Yes I have to have a c section cause ive had two previous c sections! Anyways I am having contractions every 2 to 3 min I even went to the hospital at my docs suggestion cause the contractions are so painful!!! Well since im not dialating he pretty much said he does not care to keep taking tylenol! Why do I have to deal with this pain when im having a schedule c section. With my son they gave me something that stopped my contractions! The pain is really bad... Sorry im just really annoyed!!!

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 6:52 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm really surprised that he's basically allowing you to labor, even if you aren't dilating, because that's much more risky than taking you and doing the section early! I'm not sure what I would do in your position. Call the hospital every so often if they keep up and complain and see if they will let you come in to L&D for another check...I don't know other than that mama!
    Anonymous

• thank you thats what i was thinking if i cant have the baby normally and my contractions are so close why they cannot do it sooner I am 37 weeks but thanks
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 6:57 PM on May. 12, 2010

• That is really odd to me.. contractions are what lead to dilation, so I don't understand why he would allow it to continue. Maybe he is just wanting to give the baby as much time as possible to develop before your c-section.. but if it's going to risk you going into labor anyway then i'm not so sure thats the best decision
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:16 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Even if you are having a c-section, the closer to the due date you can make it, the better it is for the baby. It's nice to know that your doctor is looking out for the baby's development, instead of just doing what you want.
    Anonymous

• Allowing you to go into labor naturally is the best thing he can do for you. Even after 2 previous c/s your risk of rupture is 0.5%. Take a warm bath and drink a couple ounces of wine and they should taper off if it's not the real deal. I would also get checked to make sure there are no vaginal infections as those can sometimes stimulate annoying and non cooperative contractions.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 8:20 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Bladder infections can too. I agree the labor hormones are the best thing for you and baby.. They can still do your c/s even if you are very dilated but I'm assuming you are just having BH contractions or false labor.. They won't c/s you before 37 weeks generally because it is more risky to your baby. Your babies lungs might not be fully developed.

Having a repeat c/s isn't even completely necessary in this situation.. it's not perilously dangerous for you to give birth.. Even though the rupture rate is higher, the death rate from it isn't, and 90% of that .5 have non-catastrophic ruptures.. Just rupture risk isn't a great reason for a c/s unless you've had previous rupture at the incision that was not caused by induction of labor..

Do go see if you have a bladder or vaginal infection..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on May. 13, 2010

• You do not HAVE to have a C-section. Your risk of uterine rupture is still WAY under 1% (0.5%, like NinjaMamma said), and the more surgeries you have the greater the risk to you and to the baby and to future pregnancies (you increase your risks of miscarriage, stillbirth, placental problems, etc). And even if it DID rupture, it is almost never the catastrophic event that you're thinking of. It's usually a 1 or 2 inch "window", or hole, over the C-section scar. It is an emergency, but your whole uterus doesn't blow up lol. At any rate, a VBA2C is safer than a repeat C-section, believe it or not.

All that said, babies do a whole lot better if their mothers labor for a while before a planned Cesarean. This is because 1. You know they're not artifically premature and 2. They recieve a powerful cocktail of hormones that stimulates their breathing reflexes. These babies spend less time in the NICU. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:46 AM on May. 13, 2010

• It sounds like you are having prodromal labor, which is normal. It gets baby into the best position and does some of the work of labor before it actually starts.

Ninja had some good ideas about helping to cope with this. Just try to relax. Do your best to make it to your scheduled C-section date with intact sanity lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:48 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Oh, forgot to add, you are never too close to your due date to change doctors. You can always get a new one :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• It sounds to me like dehydration. When we don't get enough plain fresh water our muscles get irritable and in this case a good portion of your blood flow is going to the uterus. You should be drinking 1/2 of you body weight in ounces of plain water. For example if you weigh 150 pounds you should be drinking at least 75 ounces of plain water not juice or soda or even tea, just water.

Also, the more time your baby spends in thw womb the better. It would be a tragady to go through with a c section that's too early and end up with a baby in the NICU with trouble breathing. Your baby will let you know when the time Is right. There's no reason for you to not at least have a trial of labor and have successful vaginal delivery which is safer than the repeat c section.
    Jade812

Answer by Jade812 at 5:27 PM on May. 13, 2010