Why no discipline???

Seriously, I am watching this Super Nanny show.. what is the deal? Is lack of discipline a growing epidemic in our country? I simply cannot understand it. I want you all to think back when you were growing up. Did this stuff ever go on? I know it didn't when I was growing up. We had respect. I demanded respect from my kids. Parents have got to be tough or we are going to have a whole generation of spoiled rotten kids. It's bad when you can't even go shopping for ill behaved children. Anyone else noticing this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Takes effort to discipline and the women/men are just plain lazy. They think the other one should do the job but basically it's the women job to get it done.

Anonymous

• There is a difference between DISCIPLINE and PUNISHMENT. You learn from Discipline and you don't from punishment.
    Anonymous

• You say you demanded respect, how odd that you see that as respect -what you demanded was good behaviour out of fear of punishment. You can't demand respect, you earn it. You can demand fear ( and apparently you were quite successful ) but fear is not respect. I respect those who have control over their emotions, who can keep their hands to themselves even when very angry.. Do I admire a man who uses physical punishment to correct his wife? No I fear him, & I would do as he says, but I don't respect him.
    I believe in discipline,yes I have swatted a backside or two, & it's always been from MY frustration, not because I thought long & hard about how to best convey my message. All I showed my kids is Mommy doesn't hold herself to the same standard that she expects from her kids, Maybe spanking is how you were raised, there are many other parenting practises that have been stopped, why cling so hard to physical punishment?
    Anonymous

• Um it's Supernanny, they are picking extreme cases because it makes for better viewing, these are not your average suburbian Moms. If you don't like it turn it off. Not all people who choose to not spank are lazy in discipline, they just choose different methods, and like anything else, mostly it works, occasionally it doesn't
    Anonymous

• Discipline takes a lot more effort than punishment. Discipline involves teaching. If more parents took the time to teach their children right from wrong, instead of just hitting them, the world woulds be a better place.
    Anonymous