Side Dish Ideas

I need some ideas for side dishes.... My poor family is getting sick of rice (they always pick the chicken flavored), biscuits, salads (lettuce salads), and noodles (like mac & cheese). Do you have any side dishes that would be big hits for young kids? Thanks!

things_not_sane

Asked by things_not_sane at 7:20 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Potatoes (mashed, fried, baked), vegetables (corn on the cob, green beans, etc.), and stuffing.
    Anonymous

• tator tots, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, fruit salad
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:30 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I am very lazy; we generally have one-dish meals, like pasta with vegetables and peanut sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on May. 12, 2010

• coleslaw
    pasta salad
    potatoe salad
    cucumber/onion/tomato sliced and mixed in either sour cream with dill and garlic or marinated in italian dressing
    steamed veggies
    fruit and yogurt parfait
    carrrots, celery, cucumber sticks and dip
    roasted veggies and quartered new potatoes with rosemary and garlic
    fruit
    jello and fruit wedges-i just saw this on a website earlier, haven't tried it yet but it looks awesome.......you make jello and let it cool for 15 minutes in the fridge, then pour into halved and cleaned melons, put it in the fridge for 3 hours to set, then cut into wedges....you can probably find it on kraft website or whoever makes jello(sorry I can't remember lol)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• risotto, creamy split lentils, roasted veggies, apple celery salad, quinoa, veggie gratin... so many options daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:21 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My toddler loves baked apples w/onions. Just dice 1/2 onion with every two apples.
    Also: Sauteed spinach with vinegar
    Egg fried rice is good too.. (though she picks out the egg)
    Strawberry rice and blackberry rice
    Mashed pumpkin (instead of potatoes)
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 12:32 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Take their favorite sides and do something new and exciting with them.

Saute green beans with canola oil, lemon juice, a drizzle of honey and sea salt. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and dried cranberries.

Saute broccoli with with canola oil, soy sauce and garlic. Top with toasted sesame seeds.

Instead of mashed potatoes or fries roasted potato wedges. Leave the skins on. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Toss to coat and bake at 400 until crispy outside and fluffy inside.

Make mashed sweet potatoes. Bake them until tender. Let them sit a few minutes to steam the skins loose. Peel and then mash them with real butter and a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon.

My youngest daughter loves pasta (angel hair, spaghetti, linguine) tossed with olive oil or butter, garlic, paremsan cheese and parsely.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:34 AM on May. 14, 2010

• To the usual rice you can do some new things.

After it is cooked spread it on a baking sheet to cool (you can even stick it in the frige or freezer to make it quick). Fry the rice in a little canola oil with some green onions, bean sprouts, soy sauce, any other veggies you like. I also add cashews for flavor and crunch.

Before I fry the rice, I lightly beat an egg...just break the yolk and distribute it a little, I don't really combine the yolk and white to a uniform color. I drizzle the egg in "strips" into a pan that is heated over medium heat. Cook and stir and break into pieces, as it cooks quickly. Add to the rice when it is nearly done.

Also try making a rice pilaff made with cranberries and pecans...it is delish!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:41 AM on May. 14, 2010