My 7 month old daughter isnt gaining weight.

My info is too long to put here. Read the 1st comment below :-) Thanks!~

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 7:33 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Scarlett was born October 11th 2009. She was 5 days early at a very healthy 6 lbs 15 oz, she was 19 inches long. At 7 months (yesterday) old she was 11 lbs 11 1/2 oz and 25 inches long. Her old pediatrician, whom I love and am very sad we moved away from, was slightly concerned about her at around 4 months just because she wasnt keeping up with her weight gain. We switched her from Enfamil to Similac at around 3 1/2 months old and she had diahrrea for 10 straight days. Surprisingly she didnt lose any weight and had actually gained an ounce or two despite the 2 weeks of poop hell. Finally I realized that it was most likely the similac she was getting sick from and the day I switched her back to Enfamil the diahrrea stopped. When she was 5 months old we moved out of state and away from the pediatrician who was 4 weeks away from starting blood tests if she didnt start gaining more weight. She went from the 35th ish percentile a
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 7:36 PM on May. 12, 2010

• percentile at birth to at 5 months old struggling to stay at the 5th percentile.She is now clinging onto 1st percentile and her doc STILL isn't concerned. We've tried everything to get her to gain, cereal and solids were a pain to get her to eat, like pulling teeth. She refused the spoon until 6 months old, which ironically, 4 days after she learned how to accept the spoon our new pediatrician told us to not give her anything but formula. We started concentrating the formula a week and a half ago and the plan was to keep increasing the amount of calories weekly. Well after 1 full week of increased calorie intake, she gained half an ounce. That same day we increased the concentration levels as instructed and she REFUSED to drink. After she had only drank about 10 oz of the high calorie formula in 12 hours; and an hour and a half of crying because of hunger yet refusing her bottle I made her a non concentrated batch and she
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 7:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• she chugged it. So now I'm just giving her the regular stuff and she's back to her usual 18-23 oz a day. I know its a low amount of oz but she REFUSES, I mean flat out will not eat any more than that. She is thriving perfectly well, she meets every demand for her age group and is even a little advanced as far as communtication and fine motor skills are concerned. She sleeps 10 hours at night without waking, which I know is incredible for a baby who "doesnt eat enough" but I also know she is 7 months old and for a full term baby, sleeping through the night is normal. The only thing that I've noticed about her that seems unusual is that she went from the best baby, who only cried when she was hungry, to a big old brat who cant sit by herself for 10 minutes without crying.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 7:38 PM on May. 12, 2010

• She absolutely flips out if I put her down and walk away. I used to be able to put her down at nap time and she'd play quietly for 10 minutes and then fall asleep.

Anywho I'd love any advice from moms who've gone through something similar or know someone who knows someone, I've got a few horrifying ideas floating around in my head such as Progeria and Kidney failer. If you had a baby girl at similar birth weight and height I would LOVE to hear her statistics now and if your pediatrician has said anything about her. Thanks for your time and concern Mommas!!
    momma_shuler

• Find a new doctor. Yes I understand that you just did find a new doctor, basically, but seriously, find someone else.
    Anonymous

• Drops in percentiles are normal. Huge drops like that im not so sure of. I would seek a new ped or a nutritionist. Something doesnt sound right.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:48 PM on May. 12, 2010

• We went from a huge town to a tiny town where there's only 3 pediatricians and none of them will agree something is wrong. They're really relaxed here in Northern CA and seem to think that nothing could possibly ever be wrong with a kid who looks healthy. I met all 3 docs and this one is the only one I liked.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 7:56 PM on May. 12, 2010

• time to drive back into the big city for a new dr!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:33 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I agree with Nyx - pursue a better doc in a nearby city. Either that or get used to having a tiny child.
    Anonymous

• Are you and her father small people? Are there any others kids in your family and if so are they small? If she is gaining(albeit slow) but able to hit all her developmental milestones(and be advanced in certain areas) I don't think I would be too concerned either. If you feel something is wrong though, definitely pursue it!

Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 9:58 PM on May. 12, 2010