Would anyone else think my situation was odd?

Ok, I'm going back to work soon, a good job, physically demanding and somewhat dangerous, but it pays well and will, I feel, be good for me. My husband was laid off not too long ago, which works out well for me in this current situation because I would like to have someone home with our daughter, so he's going to be a stay at home dad. I LOVE this idea, he's better at doing things around the house and our DD loves spending time with daddy. Some of my family are really put off by this because they still think that the husband should be the main provider....I'll make more money, he's better at cleaning (actually doing the laundry right now) and I feel like there's nothing weird about any of this, still some of my family isn't very thrilled about me "taking the man's place"....anyone else feel like this is just a little to 1950's?

heratyc

Asked by heratyc at 8:21 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Do what it takes to support your family and don't worry about what the rest think unless they want to pay your bills :)
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 11:03 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I think it sounds great- you need to do whatever works best for your family. It just doesn't make sense for him to work and make less money when you are happy to go to work and he is happy to stay home!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:24 PM on May. 12, 2010

• IMO do what works for your family & ignore the others, there are going to be many more subjects they complain about that you don't agree w/. When my nephew was born my brother stayed home & they still have a bond like no other! Just be sure you get your bonding time in so you don't feel left out.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:24 PM on May. 12, 2010

• If you're both fine with it, there's nothing wrong with it. If I were physically able and could earn a decent amount, I'd be the one working outside the home and DH would be the stay-at-home parent. We discussed it in the past, but with my heart it's impossible - not to mention DH has more qualifications for higher-paying jobs than me, I'd be at the bottom of most totem poles :(.
    Anonymous

• Sounds fine to me. My husband and I are opposite. Or "traditional" as my family calls it. But thats what works for us. Actually until last year I was the one making the most and working the most jobs through our whole relationship. I even worked 3 jobs after our son was born
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 8:42 PM on May. 12, 2010

• im not gonna lie and say i dont think its a little wierd, but i dont think theres anything wrong with it ... its just different. but if it works, thats great. for me, i think that both parents should be working unless the person working makes a real lot of money. i want to be bringing in at least 100-200 thousand a yr in my house hold because im spoiled & i want my kids to be too, lol. but i want a family member home with my kids too, i dont want them in daycare either so i would do whatever to make sure that happened.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:52 PM on May. 12, 2010

• As long as he's up for the challange of actually doing the jobs around the house that are needed, I see no problems with it. I know a family that has a stay at home dad and all he does is drink, smoke pot, and play video games while his daughter sits around in dirty diapers. Then when the mother comes home she has to clean the house, do the laundry, and take care of the baby while he gets to do whatever he wants.

If your husband is taking the role seriously and is good at it, then I say more power to you!
    Anonymous

• We are actually in a somewhat similar situation. My husband was medically retired from the military for major injuries he sustained, and he and I are switching roles- and we're SO much happier! I'm finishing school (I'll be done with one degree next spring, if all goes right) and will get a job and be the main provider, while my husband is becomes the stay-at-home-dad for our kids. We'll be getting his retirement/VA pay, but that doesn't pay all the bills, and I am so happy to get back to work, while he's actually really happy being at home playing with our 3 year old and doing odd jobs around the house. My mom and dad say they wish they'd gone that route because my mom always has had the ability to make more money than my dad.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:02 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Doesn't sound odd at all; my husband and I switch roles and responsibilities all the time. It's part of being a team.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:11 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Whatever works for you family. DH and I have said in the past if I could get a job that would pay me more than he makes then we would switch.
    Anonymous