Dr. Gave my DD the wrong shot.

We went for my DD 1 year visit. The Dr. said she was given the wrong shot at her last visit- she was given the hep A shot when she should have been given the last hep B shot. So she just reversed them at this visit. She said it was no big deal. Now we have all the "what ifs" going through our heads.... what do you think? and what would you do? thanks.

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 8:41 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd at least be asking how it is possible that the first doctor made the mistake, that is medical negligence and should be addressed. Your DD will be fine, long term there are no repercussions, but I wouldn't be letting that first Dr near her again, he is incompetent
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:45 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I'd figure out what governing board to file a formal complaint with and find another dr!!!! Lucky it wasn't some serious mixup but WTF!!!! This is why I look @ the shots being given to my child before they are injected! There shouldn't be any side effects, if you noticed any when she got her last shots when the mistake was made then report them to the adverse reastion to vaccinations site. If nobody speaks up when dr's make mistakes then there's no review process. You don't know her history, this may be a one time thing or a pattern of not paying close enough attention. It'd be enough for me to find another dr immediately!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• There really isn't anything you can do except maybe be thankful that your doctor was aware of what happened and is dealing with it, although it would have been nice if they told you once they realized a mistake had been made.

I actually dealt with something similar to this. When my middle daughter was born the meningitis shot had just came out and it was elective. I refused the shot 3 times because it was new and not required. At her 9 month old well baby check, they gave it to her and didn't even tell me. I found out later that night when I was looking at her shot record getting ready to put it away until next time and noticed she got a new shot that she hadn't had before and found out what it was. I called and filled out complaint forms but nothing could be done because it didn't put her in the hospital or kill her.

Anonymous

• I THINK I WOULD FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. THIS WOULD ALWAYS MAKE ME WONDER WHAT WILL SHE DO NEXT. THEY ALWAYS MAKE YOU SIGN BEFORE GETTING THE SHOT, DID YOU? i WOULD CHECK THE PAPER WORK TO SEE WHAT SHOT WAS WRITTEN DOWN BEFORE GIVING IT. THIS WOULD NOT MAKE ME VERY HAPPY AT ALL!!!! I WOULD QUESTION HER EVERY MOVE.
    Anonymous

• I would find another doctor.
    Anonymous

• Find a different doctor, then tell them why. My sister's son has autisim and she is positive it was due to the combination shots (big debate I know) but to be on the safe side, I told my pedi "no combo shots!" He told me and my husband we were horrible parents for not protecting my DD against diseases. Then gave her a "single shot" and sent me home with the papers of "the shot your child just recieved and what to expect".. he gave her the combo shot anyways. Doctors don't care about your opinion. They do what they want- we are just statistics.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:55 PM on May. 12, 2010

• It is really not a big deal-- check out the CDC guide lines for administration -- the 3rd hep b shot can be given anytime within the year of first dose-- really anytime you want in your life Hep B is an STD whats the rush?

hep a has a range too ... they are well within the range
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i agree with melrn but it's still scary to think that it got swithced around b/c what if it were some other shot?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:50 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I heard on Dr.Phil you can view complaints against doctors. That show as about molestation but I think the report shows ALL kind of complaints. I googled "review doctors" and I can't remember which website it was but there is probably resources out there. You could leave a complaint, maybe that pratice needs to be reviewed! what if it has happened before!? you know?
    I agree with the other Mom's, I would go to a different doctor.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:19 PM on May. 12, 2010

• You can turn into the complaint because he shoul

dnt have done this AT ALL this was their mistake and the child shouldn't have got the wrong shot AT ALL no excuses

Not sure hon where you live but a good friend of mine passed me along to me

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_bhs_fhs_bhs_ops_700_35709_7.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-27417_27647-43590--,00.html
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:42 PM on May. 12, 2010