What online school is best?

Hi: I was wondering if anyone has graduated from penn foster college in medical transcription degree.

kyliesmom610

Asked by kyliesmom610 at 8:42 PM on May. 12, 2010 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people working in your chosen field, and make sure that you will be getting a degree that will be accepted by hiring managers.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I am looking at APUS, it's the online military university, but they also offer degrees to US citizens and aliens with ID numbers. Anyway, the tuition isn't bad and they have a variety of Associates, Bachelors and graduate degrees. I am thinking about finishing the English Bachelor's degree that I started several years ago. Just make sure the online school you choose is both regionally and nationally accredited.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:38 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I think Kaplan is rated number 1, I forget who is number 2 and Liberty University is number 3. I go to Liberty, that's how I know. However, I am certified in medical transcription and I will tell you it is a waste.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:11 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Any online school is not nearly a credible as an actual school. I would look into local schools where you can take the classes online. Your degree will be a lot more worthwhile and will mean a lot more. A good friend of mine graduated from Devry and hasn't been able to find a job for 8 months, when he was turned down from one of the jobs he asked them why and they said that another guy who went to "x" had the same, if not a little lower, credentials than him but he went to a "real" college so they chose him. That "real" college was the local community college where they accept everyone and tuition is $2,000 a semester. When my friend paid a TON more to go to Devry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I live overseas, air force spouse, and i am about to start university of phoenix online... hope its a good choice...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Anon @ 9:01 - That is what great about Liberty. They are an 'actual' school but also have an online program. So when you get your diploma it will just say Liberty University. There is no way to tell how many credits were taken online.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:31 AM on May. 13, 2010