Our children learn a lot from us but on that rare and special occassion, we learn something valuable from our children.What has your child taught you?

Today, my son has taught me something.He taught me that even a 10 year old can show empathy for someone. I said something that made so much sense I was surprised it came out of his mouth,lol. And as crazy as he has been making me lately, I really needed to hear it from him..
I had a really busy evening.I dropped him off to practice,rushed home,got dinner started picked him back up,came home.DH got his plate,sat down.I began to make my daughters plate,then my sons plate.Before I could get to mine,he asked me to cut up his steak.So I did that.Then my dd started fussing and I had to get her juice and more food.I started to make my plate,ds asks for more steak sauce.By now,its 20 mins into the meal.My ds says"mom,I feel what you feel.Your hungry and your tired and I keep asking you for things and you cant finish making your plate and I'm sorry" He almost made me cry.I was so surprised,I couldnt even talk.So he IS HUMAN! lol

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 9:02 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• A couple months ago, Kiwi was in the hospital for a week after having heart surgery. She handled it so well, smiling so big, being so happy, teasing the nurses, and giving them stickers to give to the other sick kids, all the while with a tube draining liquid out of her chest. She hardly cried, didn't complain, and kept asking about if the other kids were okay, saying she hoped they didn't have a chest tube because it hurt a little (a little? I would have thought a lot). I get a migraine and am whining like a baby, but she was so good. There were even nurses coming in on their off days, and from other floors to see the happy heart patient. I was so proud of my little five year old!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Aww!! That's great! You should write that down so that you never forget it. It sounds like you've got a very good boy (even if he does make you crazy sometimes!).

My son is just 21 months, but every time I hear him say "Yes Please" or "Thank you!" I just melt. That and watching him go up to the fountain in Church, stick his hand in, and cross himself with Holy Water. Most of the time I think "I love my little monster" but in those moments I think "I love my little angel!!"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:07 PM on May. 12, 2010

• WOW, I wish that my 17 & 21 yo kids could get their heads out of their own arses enough to even realize I'm there, and that I'm a living breathing person with feelings.
    Anonymous

• omg this question is so easy for me. My kids are my world, literally! I live and breath for my kids, they have taught me to love even when someone hurts you, they have taught me to look in to myself when I never wanted to sometimes, they have given me the gift of appreciation and love towards other, they have taught me to be less selfish, and give more. Most of all they put a smile on my face even when I dont want to smile! lol they might be a pain in the rare sometimes, but in the end its all worth it. My oldest have made me want to put myself in a mental ward sometimes, lol but that right there shows they also gave me strength, because if I didnt love them enough to forgive I would have given up a long time ago. ;))
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:21 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Anon....Im sorry your going through that with your older kids. I have a fifteen year old, I feel ya pain girl lol. But in the end I love him anyways, he has put me through a lot but when I hug him all my anger goes away. Sometimes I just have to look for the good qualities to get over the hurt sometimes. So I guess in the end he makes me strong. I actually hugged him today out of no where, and he was like wth?? lol. You gotta just hug them sometimes, they act like they dont like it but they do!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:24 AM on May. 13, 2010