How does CPS determine accusations to be true or false?

In things like neglect or not feeding a child, how does the CPS person decide it to be true? Especially in cases where the child is too young to speak up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Never been in this situation, but I would guess they'd do a home visit to see if there is food in the house and maybe check the child's weight vs height?
    Anonymous

• OP Here.. I understand investigation but if its in the case of a split family and one parent is suspected of neglect, that parents family and friends will back that parent up while the accusing parent's family and friends will back up that parent. KWIM?
    Anonymous

• It depends on who makes the call- if a mandatory reported calls they must open an investigation. Having been now on both sides of the spectrum let me give you both views-- When I call as a nurse I tell them a senario I"m in they ask a few ?? I ask them a few and they tell me if they are going to take the case or not-- UNLESS I as the mandatory reporter say "I want an investigator here now"-- then they send one our with in 8 hours

On the receiving end-- last year dd went into prek one day and fabricated this big hooplah that "daddy let steven all by himself in time out FOREVER" the school waited 4 hours then called CPS and said that DH and I left a 2 year old unattended on an unknown day at an unknown time for an unknown period of time" -- CPS came to my house said hello to DH spoke with me over the phone and closed the case before the day was out without ever seeing me, DD, or more then a glance at my son.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:30 PM on May. 12, 2010

• then I spent 2 grand in attorneys fee s to remove the call permanently from the file
    once a call is made on you it doesnt go away until your last child turns 18 UNLESS a judge removes it Being a mandatory reporter it was in my best interest to get it removed-- but fear not-- I reported EVERYONE teacher social worker and principle to their boards of licensesure for being a bunch of incompetent morons-- they all had temporary suspensions with re taking of mandatory reporter class over again--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:34 PM on May. 12, 2010

• op Here- As an RN am I considered a mandatory reporter for people outside my practice? I don't work with children but I am in close contact with a child who isn't being properly cared for (not improperly to "my standards" but improperly like not fed, not bathed, not put in correct clothing for weather, etc)
    Anonymous

• Here, check out the regulations for mandated reporting for your state:  Mandatory Reporting Database

I'm normally well on the other side of the "should I report this..." argument. I feel that people tend to over-report to the extreme.  I think that in your case, you should report and allow the investigators to worry about how to investigate, ya know?

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:05 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I'd call your state's CPS office and just ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 PM on May. 12, 2010

• They are a bunch of crap. Growing up they wer ecalled a few times by our school. But my parents always had an excuse on why I had a black eye or why my little brother had a broken collar bone or why my other brother had a cut above his eye. They don't do their job properly My niece was molested by someone living with her parents and her and they never asked for him to be removed from the home. They thought she was making this up. I'm sorry but no 4 year old can make up the stuff that came out of her mouth, Her mother knew all about it but never reported it and she still has my niece. CPS is a major joke.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:47 PM on May. 12, 2010