Do you have your younger kids helping around the house?

if so what do you have them doing and how do you reward them..?

ktidwell

Asked by ktidwell at 9:28 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes mine help. If we are cleaning the living room, they will run things to their rooms, they will pick up toys or shoes. They love to dust. My kids are 2,3 and 10.
    We don't give rewards for helping around the house, It is just expected. You live here you contribute to cleaning up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:32 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I encourage my kids to clean up after themselves. Most days that means I hand them something and tell them where they go. Both kids live to help switch over laundry and unload the dishwasher. While I dont assign them those tasks, I invite them to help so they understand the cause and effect of daily use. I should mention my kids are only 1 & 3.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Absolutely! They are 6 and 7 and they have to clean their room, empty the dishwasher, take laundry to the laundry room, pick up toys, shoes. They live here, they don't get paid to help. If that were the case I would hire a maid. Their reward is a nice, clean home with lots of love in it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:39 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Definately! I have a 7, a 10 and a 12 year old....they each have a pretty hefty "chore-chart" and I've taught them that work is NOT a dirty word,, and that it's very rewarding. I get ALOT of help from them, and we make it fun!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 9:45 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Mine are 2 and 6 and they have to pick up their clothes and toys and sometimes help unload the dishwasher. The reward is that they get to play and read books instead of going to bed early or they get to keep their toys instead of me taking them away for a while if they don't clean them up.
    Anonymous

• No one gets rewarded for housework at our house, unless someone starts paying me.

My daughter started cleaning the toilet when she was around 4. We use homemade non-toxic cleaners.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My daughter is 3, and sometimes she helps with small things, and other times I let her THINK she is helping so that I am able to get more done lol I always have her pick up her own toys that are all over the house and put them up in her toy box. I let her get the clothes of the dryer and put them on the couch for me so that I can fold them (she thinks this is the coolest thing in the world), and when i'm putting dishes up from the dishwasher I always let her do the silverware (no knives of course) and the tupperware and pans since they are in bottom cabinets that she can reach
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:25 PM on May. 12, 2010

• yes, my 4yo puts his dirty dishes in the dishwasher when he is done. i have yet to train my hubby to do that lol
    my 4yo and 2yo have to keep their rooms clean (i will help the 2yo but he does most of it himself)
    they like to wipe down the cabinets with baby wipes lol.... idk if that is so helpful but i'll take it
    they also help by throwing away trash and dirty diapers and throwing away the recycling

i don't reward them, just tell them they did a good job and that they're being a good helper. they feel proud
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:21 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Oh yes maam. Certain things are a MUST. Their room MUST be cleaned. Bathroom MUST be cleaned, (anything that does not involve chemicals). Toys must be picked up, room vaccumed, sheets changed. Yes they clean. Now there are ELECTIVE chores that they can choose to do and get paid for. Dumping the trash is not fun nor easy... even for me. They do this, also they do the dishes. Not putting them in the dishwasher, I mean had washing and drying each one. They mop, they also load the washer and unload the dryer. All those for a little extra money. AND the extra money they make, we take half and put into their savings account.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 12:38 AM on May. 13, 2010