Feeding Schedule for 4 mo old????

My doc gave me the go ahead to start my son on solids... cereal and stage 1's. He has also limited him to 32 oz of formula. My son is 17lbs, 4.4oz, 26 inches with a 17 1/2 cm head...

So he's big.... I am wondering what a good schedule would be to get him on... the doc also said to feed him solids 2-3 times a day...

Trinity0820

Asked by Trinity0820 at 9:30 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would put him on a normal eating schedule, like breakfast, lunch, and supper. By the sound of it he's not lacking in gaining on what he's been having so I wouldn't worry too much about the solids. Just when you sit down to eat give him solids at the same time... That's what I did, and it worked for us.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:33 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Well, first I would recommend holding off a bit(til 6 months or so) before doing solids. He is gaining well without them so there's no need to rush.
    If you decide to start them though they should be started out slowly, tablespoon of cereal once a day to see how he does. Gradually add in foods giving at least 3-4 days in between new foods to watch for a reaction, that way if he has one you know the likely culprit. Solids should slowly build to 3 times a day over the course of 3-4 months. Remember your babies stomach is only as big as his fist.
    Last, I want to mention that breast milk or formula are to be the mainstay of babies diet for the entire first year, solids AFTER nursing or giving a bottle always.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 9:35 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Oh and have to add if you notice the baby isn't sleeping well or is getting constipated or gassy back off on the solids for a while and try again later.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 9:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• You should get a new doctor that info is way wrong and can lead to things like NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis, early on set Chrones and diverticulitis -- when we see 12 year olds in the ER with one of these conditions they all have one thing in common- solid food and cow based dairy before 12 months old
    when things like peas are started ona 6 month old it is really just to look for allergies and sensitivity but should never be for nutrition purposes until after 12 months of age and 20 pounds which ever comes last
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:40 PM on May. 12, 2010

• they want me to add the solids in hopes his weight will maintain and not go much higher... My dd was started at 2months and I had him on some solids at night because he was always hungery... he is drinking way too much formula for his age...
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 9:52 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Then the answer is to decrease formula to no more than 32 oz. a day, no solids needed. How much is he getting per bottle? At 4 months he should be taking anywhere from 4-6 oz. no more than that.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 10:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• he drinks 8 oz every two to four hours... he is always hungry and I am not gonna starve him...
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 10:17 PM on May. 12, 2010

• cutting back your 17lb 4 month old a little is going to starve him? I think not...I think itd be helpful, and since your doc agrees, maybe you should consider it...you already admitted hes drinking too much...do you want an obese child?
    Anonymous

• 4 months is a tad early...
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:27 PM on May. 12, 2010

• if her doc has said to start solids there is a reason for it. my doc has me starting my 4 month old on cereal, not for any nutritional reason but because she is developmentally ready for it. A good way to get going on the solids is to start with once a day with cereal. Only start with a teaspoonful thinned out with formula so that it's just thick enough to be on the spoon, then once he's used to it, add it to two times a day for a couple weeks, then after he's used to that add in the stage 1's one at a time and stick with the same one for a few days to make sure he doesn't have a reaction.

Also, I think I understand what the logic is here. Babies that are on solids consume less formula and stay satisfied longer. so maybe this is why?
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:46 AM on May. 13, 2010