child support question???

my ex was ordered to pay 800.00 in child support of which he owed me or he was going to be locked up (he was late paying it and they gave him a certain date to pay by) anyways, he did pay this but he did not pay anything else so he is now behind again and we have court coming up in 2 wks. What do you think the outcome will be? The hearing is only about his non-payment. He has missed 3 months.
I would also like to know what if he pays all of what he owes the day before he goes to court? Can he still get in trouble?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• They will consider the payment, and probably dismiss the case if he's up to date. Not a lot they can do if he's not late anymore. As for the fact that he is 3 months behind right now, I don't know. Maybe put him on probation, lock him up on work release. It varies by state, so you might want to ask an attorney.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:36 PM on May. 12, 2010

• He'll be ordered to make regular payments and an additional payment will be ordered to cover arrears.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:38 PM on May. 12, 2010

• get used to it. my ex husband has been in the rears over 3,000.00 for years! as long as he makes some sort of payment, even 20 bucks, no one can do anything about it. and he is court ordered to pay me the first of every month, which NEVER happens. The only thing i can do is take him to court for contempt but im sooooooooo tired of seeing him in court and am VERY tired of paying attorney fees! i live in maryland
    Anonymous

• The judge will probably consider the reasons behind his failure to pay and the reason the payment was late. If he's between jobs the court probably won't do much, if he's doing it purposely to cause problems for you then the court might come down pretty hard on him. I would express my fear to the judge about not getting the child support that is needed to care for your child. GL

PS, your doing good if he's only 3 months behind, my ex is11 years behind!
    Anonymous

• My 11 years is worth about 24 grand with interest. He has knocked almost 4 out over the last 3 1/2 years. Guess he didn't like getting thrown in jail!

Anonymous

• He says that he is between jobs and can't find work..blah blah blah. the truth is that he works for his brother under the table. They sent me a letter saying that they were going to start garnishing his wages but they can't because they have nothing to take it from. I know the only reason he pays is to keep from going to jail..its only when he is threatened with going to jail.
    Anonymous

• If he catches it up before court he'll be fine. He'll learn that they won't bother him as long as he doesn't go beyond 3 months. It's a bad habit but guys like my x push the envelope all the time. Mine waits 2 months and 29 days to pay just for the drama of it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:41 PM on May. 12, 2010