how to break a fever in a 3 year old and a seven year old

both of my kids have strep but my youngest keeps running a high fever how is the best way to break it please help

1mom2babies

Asked by 1mom2babies at 10:00 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What did the dr suggest when he treated them for the strep? If nothing else, call a pharmacist or an ER and ask.
    Anonymous

• Alternating between motrin and tylenol (I think it is one every 2 hours, you can probably google that), cool baths and cool wash cloths on their foreheads or feet. Try to get them to drink water or pedialite
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:05 PM on May. 12, 2010

• A cool bath. Put cold rags on his/her wrists and the back of the neck. Make sure you do not bundle them up, give them just a light blanket to use. Keep them well hydrated and give them ice pops to keep them cool. The sugar from the ice pops can also help with the fever. Switch between Tylenol and ibuprofen every 4 hours.

I know fevers way too well, I have an immune disorder that causes me to get a 104 fever with every cold!

Good luck, hope your children feel better soon!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:09 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Check with your Dr. first, but maybe you could give them Tylenol or Motrin. My SIL, a nurse, suggested a combination of both for my toddler. You will need to follow your Dr.'s directions on dosage though.
    Anonymous

• thank you imamommmmmmyyy... My daughter doesnt have a fever ,but when she does your suggestions will come in handy =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:12 PM on May. 12, 2010

• No problem =) I've had high fevers about every other month since I was about 2 so my mom learned all the tricks in the book!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:14 PM on May. 12, 2010

• thank u all for helping me i am really concerned about this it is like enev though i give him the ibuprofen in a couple hours he is running a fever again
    1mom2babies

Answer by 1mom2babies at 10:22 PM on May. 12, 2010