Giving my 6 month old whole milk

My DS is 6 months old and I was giving him formula but I really can't afford it anymore so for the past month I've been giving him whole milk. Is this ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!
    Anonymous

• UH OH SPAGHETTIO!
    Anonymous

• No he needs formula until hes at least one..then u can switch to whole milk...u need to get on wic if u cant afford formula
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:09 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Not good at all! They need the formula until they are at least one. It has special nutrients that they can not get from milk. WIC can help you pay for formula, also Catholic Charities will give it to you for free, no questions asked.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:11 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Nope. Go get on WIC.
    Anonymous

• I am not eligible for WIC otherwise I would. I have too many bills and expenses.
    Anonymous

• No way! Like the previous comment said, you can get help from wic or somewhere to get formula.
    Anonymous

• You really should not feed your baby whole milk until 1 year of age. The reason is that your baby's formula contains extra iron, which will keep your child from becoming anemic (low red blood cell count) and because his digestive system is not developed enough to handle whole milk. I suggest that you go to social services in your area and try to get some assistance - the WIC program may give you vouchers for free formula. It is much better to get help than to make your child ill by giving him something he cannot handle. Please, go to the WIC website and sign up: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/aboutwic/wicataglance.htm.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:15 PM on May. 12, 2010

• "I am not eligible for WIC otherwise I would. I have too many bills and expenses." I hate to go all tough love on you, but YOUR BABY COMES FIRST!!! Find out where you are wasting money and buy your baby some formula! To be sure, there are things you can go without for the safety and health of your child.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:17 PM on May. 12, 2010

• NO babies cannot have whole milk until they are 1yr (or older). The 1st year they need either formula or breastmilk.
    Anonymous