What type of detergent to use for baby's clothes?

I've just learned that you should wash new clothes before putting them on the baby, but what is a good detergent to use?

newmommie091

Asked by newmommie091 at 10:33 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• ivory snow!
    Anonymous

• I use All Free and Clear and an extra rinse cycle.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I used All Free and Clear, it's not too expensive and shouldn't cause any reactions, although none of my kids have reacted to any detergent anyway, but I always use the Free and Clear kind in the beginning just to be safe.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:37 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I used Dreft
    Anonymous

• Don't waste your money on special detergent. Unless they develop a rash, just use what you use for the rest of your family. If they do get a rash, use All Free, so much less expensive and washes well without the allergens.
    Anonymous

• Dreft... Sold in many stores... It's for babies...

However you don't need it unless they have sensitive skin... rashes etc. The box is small for its price.

little flower

Anonymous

• We've always used detergent that's "free and clear" anyway because I will sometimes get rashes with detergents that have dyes or fragrances in them.

We kept using it when our baby was born, and it worked just fine for her too. I haven't found that any particular brand of dye-free and fragrance-free is better or worse for our skin.
    Anonymous

• all free and clear or any other brand of "dye and perfume free" detergent. Dreft is just way too expensive, all works just as good.

I now make my own though.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and I thought I would add because I wished someone had told me, dry on the lowest setting, some baby clothes can shrink badly. I have a few things I saved from my older son that I really liked, but they're so short and wide they're basically useless. It's the cheaper brands that have the problem, and I don't know what kind of clothes you have, but it's easy enough to dry on low just in case that I thought I would mention it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:11 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i have to use the free and clear stuff.... i like all better than tide but most of the time tide is the only one they carry at my grocery store lol. i don't like dreft bc it is way too smelly and expensive. btw i don't waste my time washing the baby's clothes beforehand. i just rip the tag off and put it on them and i have never had any problems (and my middle son has sensitive skin)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:14 PM on May. 12, 2010