What did your contractions feel like?

I'm nervous about baby day, I know everyone's different but I'd like to know what to kind of expect, I think I might be having Brackston Hicks contractions and I've heard they feel kind of the same, but I have no one to ask, all the women in my family have had c-sections or can't remember.

newmommie091

Asked by newmommie091 at 10:41 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• for me it was something that i just knew. I delt with a lot of braxton hicks, and the sever ones can really hurt! The real ones though made me wake up at 430 in the morning, and i couldn't get back to bed. they kind of take your breath away!
    Anonymous

• It felt like the baby was like pushing my stomache out with her feet.. thats the best way i can describe it. It was uncomfortable but the pain wasnt that bad at first.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 10:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I was induced, and then I ended up with a c section because I didn't dialate past a 2...within like 10 hours...
    They felt like period cramps that got more painful and lasted longer.....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:46 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I dealt with Braxton Hicks too. The Braxton Hicks, it didn't 'hurt' but it was kind of an annoying feeling. But I went to the doc and they said I had a urinary tract infection which was probably causing the braxton hicks.
    the REAL contractions .. woke me up at 1am, but I was able to go back to bed .. by 5 am I was up and in SO much pain. My dog even noticed I was in pain and started licking my face.
    Everything in my stomach got REALLY tight ... I don't know how to explain it, it's just something I knew for sure was the real thing.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2010

• with my dd i had back labor so it didn't really hurt b/c i'm used to my back hurting b/c of my arthritis but with my ds it felt like alot of pressure "down there" and like i had to poop really bad lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:51 PM on May. 12, 2010

• One of the very generic rules of thumbs that help a lot of women tell if it's braxton hicks or actual labor contractions is that braxton hicks will generally become less intense and frequent if you lay down and drink some water. Labor contractions won't do that.

For me, the braxton hicks felt like a painful tightening all over my stomach, and labor contractions were more localized around my pelvis, and felt more like my worst-ever period cramps.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:51 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Mine felt like my pelvis was being crushed and my entire stomach was being squeezed. It felt different, I couldn't sleep and by the time I made it to the hospital I could not walk or talk.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:07 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Contractions for me felt very uncomfortable. I had bad back pain, and my mucous plug fell out..
    Anonymous

• well for me it was really bad lower back pain and then it traveled around both sides and squeezed my tummy in the front. i have had all c-sections but i was in labor with 2 out of 3 of the babies lol so i definately remember those pains. it was the worst pain ever lol. braxton hicks is just uncomfortable.... like you feel all tight. real labor pains make you stop and take notice lol. gl hun
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:26 PM on May. 12, 2010

• It's like getting a charlie horse. If you've had one that you don't forget that kind of pain. Basically a contraction is your stomach muscles tightening to push the baby downward. So if you've ever had any sort of muscle tightening to the point of doubling over in pain .. that's basically the same thing. They start out light. Like just mild stomach cramps. They're sparatic and they are nothing to even flinch at. Then as time passes they get stronger and stronger and start coming closer together. When full labor starts they're about ever 2-3 minutes. It is truely the worst pain that I've ever felt. I don't say that to scare you, because it is bearable. Truley it is. It is just a lot of pain for a short amount of time.

Make sure that you focus on something else. Breath deep and long breaths while you're having them. When you focus on something else, even your breathing it takes away from the pain. It truely does.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on May. 12, 2010