Would having both a toddler bed & crib setup confuse my DD?

Since my husband & I can't figure this out I'm looking for help. My DD turned 2 on Monday & we have another due September so I was thinking of getting our DD a toddler bed but not sure how she'll take to it. She actually goes to bed with no problems & hasn't tried to climb out that I know of so I was thinking of having both the toddler bed & the crib setup.
Please help!

MomWeb

Asked by MomWeb at 10:46 PM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wont hurt to try it. It will just be new to her and she will be confused at first but once she understands whats going on I think it will be fine. GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I think it is a good idea to go ahead and set up the toddler bed. It might help get her used to being in the bed when the baby comes. You might let her help pick out the bed, bedding, etc. and praise her for being a big girl and sleeping in her big girl bed. Ease her into it by reading to her and snuggling with her at bedtime, and staying with her until she falls asleep. Make it a nightly routine and keep it up, especially after the baby comes. She may have issues with still wanting to be the baby, but the extra snuggle time at night will help her with that. It is better that you start the routine now than to wait until you are closer to your delivery. That way she will be used to it and hopefully, not unhappy about it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:52 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i would definately start now.... you don't want to do it too close to when the baby comes. tell her that she's a big girl now and she gets a special suprise.... a big girl bed! and let her pick out the bed, sheets, and a special pillow. she will probably want to start taking naps on it and then move on to full bedtime after a couple of days (well my kids did anyway). then when she is sleeping in the toddler bed real good you can take apart the crib and ask her what to do with it. what i did was i said oh, what should we do with this old thing? hmm, i don't really want to throw it away..... do you know of any babies who could use it? and then the boys said i could save it for the new baby lol. they didn't have any issues with her sleeping in it or anything.... i think it's a good idea to make the big sister feel like she's giving the crib to the baby instead of you taking it away from her. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:10 PM on May. 12, 2010

• If it helps when we transitioned our son from crib to big boy bed (he went into a twin). We first had him help us take his blanket and pillow out of his crib and set his toddler mattress on the floor. After a few night's we brought home his twin mattress and new sheets!!! He slept on that for a few night's and then we put it on his new bed. It made the transition easy for him and didn't allow for us to have any set backs, going back to the crib and such. We needed it for his sister who was on her way. It was easier transitioning my dd, she broke the crib! lol She liked to kick the bottom pannel of the bed and ended up pushing the screws out. I'm sure her brother climbing in there in the mornings and the two of them jumping around like a couple of monkeys helped it along.
    Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:24 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I have always read that it is better to transition them months before the new baby comes if you plan on using the crib for the new little one. This gives them a chance to adjust to the new bed and not feel like they are being moved just for the new baby.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 12:53 AM on May. 13, 2010

• we have 2 yo twins and are expecting in about 2 weeks. we put my son in a twin mattress on the floor, and my daughter got the toddler bed. the baby will get the crib. my dd had the crib converted to a toddler bed, and my son had the toddler bed. strangely both dd and ds were very excited about their new beds, and we put ds's old toddler bed where dd's bed was, and it is like they don't even recognize that it was his! they both feel like they got new beds! every nap time and bed time they say they love their beds!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:34 PM on May. 13, 2010