Has any moms here have a 8.5 lb baby naturally? How bad did it hurt?

Has any moms here have a 8.5 lb or bigger baby naturally? How bad did it hurt? Im just wondering if i should do pain meds this time around, don't really want to.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 11:47 PM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did... One was 8lb5oz, one was 9lb1oz and the other was 8lb 1oz. The first one I did have one shot of Nubain, but it didn't help for more than 3 pains. I asked for a epidural, but it was too late.
    So when I went on for the other two, I knew I could do it with no pain meds, I had already basically done it. Plus my kids had huge heads.
    If you really want to go pain med free, do your research and stick to your plan. Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:53 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My mom had 3 9+ pound babies with no pain meds.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:54 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I had an 8lb baby, at home, no meds. My contractions never hurt; the baby going past my butt did hurt a lot, but to be honest I've had seere constipation that hurt worse. It was all very intense but nothing I couldn't handle. There is a natural endorphin rush and high (much like athletes get) so time is very skewed and the memory of any pain fades quickly. But pain perception is diffrent for everyone. I wasn't afraid so I did not have fear induced pain. I had coping mechanisms, was in control, and didn't get any vaginal exams. The only time I felt excrutiating pain as when I was interrupted from my "zone" or when I was lying down (I was in a squat the whole time except for a brief minute on my side). Confidence and preparation are so important. I hurt way worse the next day because my leg muscles were sore! But labor is work, and everyone has recovery time. I also went back to work 7 days later.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:54 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I should say that it didn't really hurt that bad. The way I have always looked at it is, that pain is only for a few hours, how many hours will you live in your life? Really it is a small sacrifice and totally worth it!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:56 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i only got to about a 7 before i was begging for that needle. but i'm going to try again this time. i am more prepared and have more confidence this time so i really think i can do it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:58 PM on May. 12, 2010

• My son was 8.3lbs. I did get the epidural but they turned it off when I started pushing. It took me 3 hours to push him out and I tore and had to get stitches. It hurt like HELL. I remember not even wanting to hold him because I was in so much pain. I'm sure it would have been different though if they had left my epidural on. I also remember getting a horrible pain in my left hip. It felt like my bones were crushing. I pushed through like 3 contractions and then it suddenly went away, so I think it was him passing through my pelvis.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:06 AM on May. 13, 2010

• It all depends on your pain tollerance. With my first vaginal delivery the idea of pain started to freak me out so I had an epidural. With my second I didn't. My kids were 8lb 1oz, 8lb 14oz and 8lb 5oz.
    I think if you'd like to go without any drugs then go as far as you can with it but don't feel bad or ashamed if you feel you'd be better of with something.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:07 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My mom had four kids, and I think two of us were over 8 lbs. We were born at home naturally. It hurt, but I never heard my mom say the heavier babies hurt worse. I really think the head circumference is what makes more difference, but even then.... Keep in mind, though, that they really can't predict your babies weight by ultrasound. Ultrasound weigh predictions are notorious for being wrong.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:09 AM on May. 13, 2010

• my bigest was 8Lb 4oz. I did not find it any worse than my other two who who 7lb2oz and 7lb 6oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 13, 2010

• FYI the worse position for labor for most people is in a sittings semi recline or on their backs. It makes the pelvis outlet 30% smaller than if you were in a squat. And an epidural restricts movment and the ability to change positions which makes coping difficult. Hands in the vagina also add to stress. Stress - Fear = Pain The best pain reliver if you talk to women who believe in the birth process is self-confidence, trust in birth, support, and water.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:11 AM on May. 13, 2010