When to start brushing an infants teeth reguarly?

I just want to know I try but my son flips out. He is 9 months old mostly breastfed has breastmilk in bottles while i work sometimes formula if i didnt get to pump much prior and is eating solids so with all this i feel i should be brushing them. He has 5 teeth already!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• start doing it now. My Dr. told me its a good time to start when they start on soilds or if they are FF start at one month. They have these gum brushes that are very gentel on the gums and teeth. I use it on my 10 month old and he has 8 teeth.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:17 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I started brushing DD's teeth as soon as she got the first one.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 12:17 AM on May. 13, 2010

• You can buy the rubber brush now, and brush with water or the gel that comes with it. Starting now. keeps their gums and tongue clean. Never too young... well I guess earlier than a month may be early?

good

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I guess I am late. He was exclusively breastfed with no solids or formula until 7 months (he didn't want solids till then). Will these 2 months have done him damage? He fuses and shuts his mouth and cries. Anything i put towards his mouth besides boob, bottle or food he does this with. He is very stubborn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 13, 2010

• ^oh no mama dont worry about it. I didnt know I was suppose to brush their teeth for a while. I didnt start my daughter till she was a year. I was younng and dumb and never asked the dr. Her teeth are completely fine, so I'm sure your buys teeth will be fine
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:22 AM on May. 13, 2010

• *babys
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:23 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My son got 2 teeth a week before he was 8 months and i started then. Hes 10.5 months now and has had 6 for bout a month now and and hates it when i brush them. But i do it 2x a day..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:41 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Well this is my first baby no on told me a damn thing not his dr at every check up not a word!!!! not my mother and not my mil. I will brush them from now on but lack of information just sucks.
    Anonymous

• We started wiping our daughter's gums twice a day with a soft cloth at around three months. We switched to a toothbrush when there were two teeth.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Keep at it. It needs to be a priority. Experiment with ways to make it fun. We've gone back and forth between "fun" and "not fun" with our son (luckily, we're on "Fun" right now). I've done songs and games to try to make it fun, and when it's not fun, just brushing when he's wailing (hey, the mouth is wide open!!). Now that he's older, we have our routine, and he gets a turn after mommy does it, and he helps to rinse the brush when he's done and waves bye-bye to it when we put it away. He gets excited now when I suggest we go brush his teeth.
    There is definitely a lack of information out there when it comes to teeth. I can't seem to get a straight answer from any dentist I ask about when to start taking him in. I've heard as soon as the first tooth comes, and as late as FIVE YEARS OLD! Unreal!
    Try singing with him, and making it a game, if you can. Hopefully, with time, you guys will find you groove. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:29 AM on May. 16, 2010