Black or White

In a question a week ago I said " we don't have any black people in our small town" and I got told off for saying it like that -I should have said people of colour. Why then is it okay to say "white people" .. Double standard? Are they people of no colour? It seems that anyone can refer to a white person and no-one can be offended are think of it as a racial comment but to refer to a black person makes you a racist... whats the deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you completely. And the catch is that not all black people are decendents of Africa. So even the term African-American wouldn't be "politically correct" for all black people. I call black people black, white people white, etc. Unless you want to start calling me Swedish-Italian-Scottish American, then white it just fine with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My husband is black and if you ask him what he is, he will say he is black. I know more black people that are offened by being called "african-american" than they are by being called black. I've always said black people, white people, asians, and hispanics and never really get crap for it. People on here are just...different.
    Anonymous

• People will find anything to bitch about. I mean we cant say African-american or they get pissed at that as well. What the hell are we suppose to say? I got screamed at one time for saying African American, but you're right people get mad when you say black as well. the PP is right you cant please everyone anymore.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:20 AM on May. 13, 2010

• someone got called racist when she called herself half-BLACK
    lol idk how it's so racist.. you're pointing itout.. it's not like you're saying I HATE [this color] people. you're saying it in a converstation wise to inform someone
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:21 AM on May. 13, 2010

• well Im half white and half black and I use Both

I think the older generation gets more offended by BLACK

its because of its lineage
    Nigger to Negro to Black
    so many just prefer african american, and african american is the safer way to go to avoid offending ppl, but again most younger black, african americans, dont really care either way
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:43 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I'm Black and it's fine that I'm called Black. That's in no way racist. I think at times some people are overly sensitive for no reason.. also as long as i have known my husband (who is white) I have never heard him say African American he just says Black. And I say White.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:44 AM on May. 13, 2010

• OP here, I don't live in the US, I'm in Australia, so we have aboriginals ( not allowed to say that either), islanders, African Americans, Africans, Nigerians, Indians.... everyone. And honestly, it makes not a scrap of difference to me, but I seem to offend someone, no matter how I term it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I heard that race issues are very volatile over there.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 13, 2010

• OP, that makes more sense if you are in Australia. I visited there with an ambassador program in high school and we had 3 black guys in our group. People were amazed at them! There are not too many in Australia (at least not the parts we visited. And it did seem that calling them black was a bit more taboo than it is here in the States.

By the way, what is the "accepted" name for aboriginals there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on May. 13, 2010

• why not just ask what their ethnicity is? ive had plenty of people ask me mine, even though i think its obvious, but if someones curious I answer and its not really offensive to me so I think you should just ask...Then eventually you will learn what certain races prefer to be called
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:56 AM on May. 13, 2010