We got a new kitten and I can't help but feel a bit disapointed....

We have a dog and she is great. Almost a year ago we got 2 kittens, brothers, the lady wished for them to go together because of the bond they had together out of the whole litter. They were about 3 months old when we brought them home and they fit in perfectly. We had to have the one put down at 5 months because of a disease he had. Since then his brother changed, he would try to get out of the house, the vet suggested he was looking for his brother and we should consider getting another cat. So we did. He is really cute and will let my dd snuggle him. He get's on well with the other cat but dosen't seem to care for the dog. I feel disapointed because he's not Leo I guess. Have you ever felt disapointed with a pet?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:17 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Pets

• It's normal. It sounds like you are still really missing the cat that had to be put down and part of you was hoping that the new kitten you got would be more like the one that has passed. I'm sure if you give it time you won't be disappointed in the kitten.

I was disappointed in a dog that I had gotten shortly after my black lab passed away. Somebody had told my husband that the best way for me to get over the death of her was to get another dog. It took a few months before I could warm up to her but I finally did. Just give it some time and everything will work out.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:13 PM on May. 13, 2010

• EVERY OTHER DAY!! My cat has been king of the castle for 4 yrs, he is fixed and he still pulls the evil runaway kitty routine at night. He sits in the window during the day and watches the birds in the tree's and at night, if Im doing laundry or whatever makes me open the front door, he sneaks right by me. The worst part is,,,he is starting to get into fights with other cats from the neighborhood,,at say about 3am! The other night,,he didnt get out, but his new buddy was at the door crying really loud at 4am. I was sleeping on the couch and thought my cat had gotten outside. I open the door at 4am and here is this cat,,,saying hi to my cat, who came over to the door, and then they start hissing at each other. Sorry you lost your other cat, but alot of it is just cat development,,they are born to want to get outside....:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I'm not disapointed in my older cat, but the new kitten. I absolutely understand why he tried to get out and so on. The reason we got the other kitten is because he got into a fight and we had a $150 vet bill and a cat in a cone for a week.
    I think the disapointment is because the new kitten isn't like the kitten we had to put down. Does that make sense? I'm a grown woman who has had a few pets over the years and I know they are not all the same. I didn't expect for him to be. I guess I'm just confused as to why I'm so disapointed with this cute cuddly little guy. Maybe because he dosen't seem to like the dog???? I don't know, she's my girl, maybe that's why. I really don't know. The older cat isn't getting out as often as he used to. I'd say in the last month he's been out maybe 5 times which is great from his 2 a day escapes. He can open the patio door by himself, that's why he's gotten out so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I think this sometimes happens with a 'replacement pet'- because on some level we are wishing we had the previous pet back. I know I have felt like this a few times, especially after the deaths of pets that I really loved a lot. In time I was able to appreciate the new pet for his/her own qualities, instead of mourning the fact that he/she was not the same animal that I had lost.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:20 PM on May. 13, 2010