How to discipline a 8 year old

I have an 8 year old, who has no privellages. like, candy, tv, video games, he plays sports thats his reward. but I dont know how to discipline him, he talks back, or, yells at me, or wont do as asked, and i cant punish him with tv, or video games so what can i punish him with? any good books, ive tried bribery, points, spanking, he wont budge. I wont his sports becausee thats all he has, ive done it once, and he was fine with being home in a room reading...please help i need a website, or book, advise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• may i ask why he has no tv, or video games or candy ,ever? unless its a religious thing, i find this a little extreme, in my opinion, but youre his mother not me. it does leave the punishment thing hard to do when they have no priveledges to be taken away, unless he has none of those because he already got them taken away, then i understand it. also listen to yourself when you said "i want his sports..." make sure he wants his sports, too! if hes fine with reading in his room when you take away his sports, please dont make him do them, although, here again, youre his mom, not me,and i guess everyones different. he might be acting out because of this very thing, who knows. when my 7 year old son refuses to listen, i go a little further with timeouts. make him stand facing a corner with his hands on the wall above his head, or sit in a chair in the middle of the room and not allow him to touch anything. its hard to say, hon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Give him standards and chores..lots of chores...
    Anonymous

• well maybe if he had those things, you could take them away lol...just a thought?
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:31 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Spanking only makes things worse so I'd stop that. It builds anger and they act out more just to get back at you. First I'd take him somewhere fun away from home and just talk. In our family, we go for ice cream. Just talk with him and see what's up. Let him say what he needs to say without fear of punishment. Sometimes we parents just don't listen well. Kids try to talk to us and we're too busy. Then they act out and we react to their bad behavior without thinking to get to the bottom of the reason for the behavior. Giving personal time (even just a walk around the block with just him) worked for my kids and now works for my grandkids. Many times they just need some attention.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:26 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Get the book "Have a New Kid by Friday" and read it. It's not a long read. It's both VERY easy and VERY had to implement because it requires you to change yourself. You change the way to respond to his behavior. You adjust your response to his mouth. Then he will have to adjust to your adjustment. It's utterly amazing. I don't yell anymore or lose my cool (okay, not nearly as much). That book has been a wonderful help.

Give it a try.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:58 AM on May. 16, 2010