He enjoys time out!

We recently started consistently enforcing time out with our 21 month old, but he actually seems to enjoy it. We put him in the armchair in the living room but he just sits there patiently and makes silly faces and sings to himself. It's not until after about 5 minutes or so that he starts to get antsy. Is this a sign that this is probably not an effective form of discipline lol? Any other ideas (besides spanking)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make him sit in a corner facing the corner so he does not get any attention. You right if he thinks he is just entertaining you nothing is going to happen.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on May. 13, 2010

• lol i use to enjoy time-outs.. my parents always put me in the corner next to the books, so I would read standing up till time's over lol they told me about this
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:19 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Um, I'm not someone who uses time-outs. I use re-direction and conversation. I have to wonder, if your son is amiable enough to sit in an arm chair and patiently and make silly faces and sing songs, what is he even doing to warrent time-out? My suggestion would be to converse about whatever the behavior is and focus on whatever the positive "replacement" behavior should be. For example, if my dd is hitting the cat to hard (from excitement) and I say "don't hit" it doesn't usually work, but showing her gentle touch, usually does. Redirect screaming with whispering, etc. Also, since I don't do time-outs, I don't really know, but I've always heard you only put them in for as many minutes as they are old. What's the point of him sitting there any longer than five minutes?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:53 AM on May. 13, 2010

• You have to explain to your lo that until he is quiet his time will not start for time out...its hard but if you teach him now he will get the concept that time out is not for fun and play. Right now he thinks its okay to make the faces and hum so he will continue to do this. When you put him in time out, do not talk to or pay attention to him as this will encourage the bad behaviour. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on May. 13, 2010

• lol! my dd did that at 20 mos so I just quit and would take away the toy she was getting frustrated about. If it was something dangerous I would ignore her for a short period of time! Once she saw some older kids get sent to the corner with their nose touching the wall and she copied them!!! She thought it was a game! lol I just figured she was still too young to understand punishment unless it's taking away a toy, not giving her something she wanted (but didn't need) or ignoring her (not giving her attention). However, now at 2.5 she understands time outs much better....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:53 PM on May. 13, 2010